News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

2016-04-04 First Real Ride of 2016

Started by kdtrull, April 05, 2016, 09:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdtrull

Finally, after an eternity of consecutive 10 hour days, a chance to ride again was available.  Saturday, April 4, 2016.  Nothing spectacular but a nice ride, none the less....even if only 164 miles.

Let's get one important factor on the table first.  This guy:

Is the best, always-on, reliable, plain old good dude, riding buddy that you could ever ask for, rent, buy, borrow, or steal.  If you don't know him, you should.  It's Randy, aka lazeebum.
Edit:  It is worth noting that the only time this cat has not been always-on, ready-to-go, how-soon-can-we-go kind of buddy was last Summer when he spent a majority of the riding season helping his friend, who had a back injury, bail and haul hay for most of the riding season.  That's what I call SOLID!

I was just rolling off Midnight shift and woke up (not because I wanted to) at 03:30.  I had to get the lawnmower working so the boys could mow the yard.  Otherwise, I would have lost my kitchen passes for weeks to come.  I guessed the battery was dead.  Even with a 50 Amp booster charger, it would only turn over to the compression stroke.  Around 04:00 I sent a text to Randy that I was working on the lawnmower and to call when he gets up and we'll go for a ride.  At 04:15, he replies, "Let me know if you need help".  He's up and already ready to go....holy cow!

I just happened to have an extra battery I'd been using to run a 12Vdc compressor that was an exact fit.  And although it is a PITA to swap in the dark.....Fixed, done...Go-time.  We have a modestly nice spread here with one major negative....no garage....just a barn and a utility light. 

We decided to wait for some light and meet at St. Joe Cafe for breakfast about 06:30.

There was no grand adventure planned....just an area of interest we'd talked about last year.  On the way, we stopped by Wilburn Mill:

It's for sale.  If I had $2.5M, it'd be the closest TWO camp/park to Alabama.  525 acres, 4-story grist mill, creek, dam, natural waterfall, ponds, 2 houses, and a general store....what a cool place to stop for a water break.  All of the original tools and equipment are still inside.

This is the dam which spills over to the natural, cascading waterfall:

Just a couple miles down the road is another fantastic waterfall:

It is on private property and makes a super cool back yard accent for these folks.  It sits just about level with the top of the falls on the other side of the creek:

Almost every little 1.5 lane road in Giles county has something that is worthy of a water-break stop:

Just beyond the tower, on some private hunting club property, is a nice view of another valley.

With all the rain we've had this Spring, this little 1.5 lane road was having some problems with a washout on the creek side of the tunnel:

There was a crew there working to fix the washout.  After a careful walkdown, they agreed to let us pass.

There were several more scenic roads along the way that we just didn't take the time to stop and photograph.  But when we got to Elkton, TN and saw the flooded river, we went down to get a closer look:

There was a huge log jam against the new bridge and there was a couple critters lounging around as if there was nothing to see....move along citizen, move along:

I think this one, just a few feet away, could be more of a potential hazard than the first...a fatty with a big head:

I think it was one of them cotton-eyed rattle-mouths???

This was at the top of a hill that a nicely neglected, 1 lane county road traversed:

That's about it.  We rode a lot of nice roads home but didn't stop for pics.  Being my first day off in a long time, I had some family matters to tend to for the evening.

It cannot be overstated, the value of having a good riding buddy.  Otherwise, I might well have stayed home and wished I was doing something else.  Thanks for the time.

Let's get the rides on,

kdtrull

Nice Goat

Quote from: kdtrull on April 05, 2016, 09:40:41 PM
...If you don't know him, you should.  It's Randy, aka lazeebum....

He is also a great entertainer when he picks that guitar and sings by the campfire.

Quote from: kdtrull on April 05, 2016, 09:40:41 PM
...Let's get the rides on...

The motion by the esteemed gentleman from Killen is seconded.   :D

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

jrobinson

Aye on the ride report and both accounts of the lazeebum.

norton73

Quote from: jrobinson on April 05, 2016, 10:40:04 PM
Aye on the ride report and both accounts of the lazeebum.

Agreed!

Nice to see you both out and about and reporting! 

Anyone got 2.5 mil to lend?
My dream home has always been a mill on a river...
Loose nut holding the handlebars

kdtrull

Agreed!

Nice to see you both out and about and reporting! 

Anyone got 2.5 mil to lend?
My dream home has always been a mill on a river...
[/quote]

The old mill spread is just off of Fall River Rd that a lot of road riders like to take from Lawrenceburg over to just south of Pulaski.  Look carefully for Wilburn Mill Rd....don't blink much or you'll miss it.

Guidedawg

You may not have stopped for pics on the way home, but those that you posted clearly show a wonderful day in what appears to be a great area to explore.

Having a buddy who will offer to help at that ungodly hour and then ride - priceless!

Fencejumper09

Great Pics!

Really looking forward to riding with you guys this season!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

lazeebum

We all have that friend who  gets us into trouble. Kenneth is that friend to me. Now by trouble, I don't mean the kind that will get you in jail, I mean you're having so much fun burning motorcycle gas that going home is the last thing you want to do.

I will also add, that when I think I have found something cool to show him, a road, or some site or view , he has been there.

Every now and then, he will let me try to lead. He does it just to see how small of a circle we go in. I am glad that he came out of retirement. Now if we can get him excited about riding.

kdtrull

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on April 06, 2016, 08:37:46 AM
Great Pics!

Come on up Thursday night or Friday and go about 100 years back in time with us through middle TN.

kdtrull

Quote from: lazeebum on April 06, 2016, 11:39:15 AM
I will also add, that when I think I have found something cool to show him, a road, or some site or view , he has been there.

Every now and then, he will let me try to lead. He does it just to see how small of a circle we go in. I am glad that he came out of retirement. Now if we can get him excited about riding.

Oh bull.  What about that remote farm you showed me.  I couldn't have found that place if I was looking for it.  That one will make an awesome launchpad for a Dry Creek WMA / Waterloo area camp and ride.

lazeebum

I forgot about that. And yes it would. I will also add that we have permission to do just that.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Fencejumper09

Quote from: kdtrull on April 06, 2016, 11:58:05 AM
Quote from: Fencejumper09 on April 06, 2016, 08:37:46 AM
Great Pics!

Come on up Thursday night or Friday and go about 100 years back in time with us through middle TN.

I wish I could! I have taken too much time off in the last month for bachelor parties and weddings!

Saving up for the Free State ride and maybe some trips up to NATRA.
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

lazeebum

This here is a picture of the GPS guru.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

klaviator

Another outstanding report and great pics.  You guys are both blessed in the riding buddies department.  I'm looking forward to riding with both of you in the future.

Good to see you back and thanks for posting this

Nice Goat

I think you are both righteous dudes.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."