News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Going to Greensboro for pie

Started by Guidedawg, April 12, 2016, 03:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

I went along with the FaithRiderz based out of Montgomery for our monthly ride.  We decided on a favorite for April - Greensboro, AL.

The roads are far from spectacular and the scenery is nothing to write home about, but it's a decently long trip to keep you out of the house for most of the day and a great time when you are with friends eating good food.

After several consecutive warm sunny days it was a bit cool as we gathered early in the church parking lot in order to leave by 8AM, but that's what layers are for.

There were 12 bikes including the one belonging to VWCarlos who has become a regular rider with the FaithRiderz.

We followed the route I had posted in the ride planning section

A quick jaunt down Interstate 85 took us to the backroads to Prattville where we picked up Hwy 14 and took it to our first break in Selma.

From there we made our way to Marion via a bumpy county road which was ridden in single file rather than the staggered formation in which we usually ride.  If you look quick on the video footage, you'll notice the black cow who wanted back in the pasture but jogged along with us as we rode past.

Please ignore the date stamp; I honestly thought I had set that to not appear. At the very least, I will set it to have the CORRECT date next time.

After passing Marion Military Institute (but not Judson College where my wife spent a year before we met) we reached our eagerly awaited lunch break at Mustang Oil

You may hardly cast a second glance at this unassuming gas station

But that would be a mistake.

If you go inside you will find good food at very reasonable prices.  Anyone who ventured in while we were there around lunchtime would have seen the uniforms of bikers, turkey hunters, a state trooper, and folks representing their favorite college football team.

We took up a few tables but there was still plenty of space for others.

Most of our group ordered sandwiches, but since we were in the Catfish Capital of Alabama (and we did ride past a few Catfish farms on our trip), Mrs. Guidedawg had a plate while I enjoyed a generous helping of ribs.

But everyone saved enough room for our next spot which was nearby.

We were met with warm smiles and a wide variety of pies made that day.  There was some disappointment voiced by a few of us that the Chocolate Zucchini we saw on the last trip was not available, but it wasn't very sincere disappointment.  Instead, we settled for more traditional fare.  I had a large slice of Oreo while my wife started with Key Lime, but didn't enjoy it as much as she has elsewhere.  I have never seen a brown Key Lime pie before, so she may have had an excellent point.  The Coconut Cream that she ordered instead was much more to her liking and we walked away very full from lunch and desert.

We returned to Selma via Uniontown and it was a more picturesque ride than our arrival, but I have no pictures from that leg of the journey.

Our "butt-break" and gas stop in Selma both coming and going was Crossroads Exxon station which is very welcoming to bikers.  There is a chopper on display inside the store and designated motorcycle parking near a gazebo on the property.

Most of us returned to Montgomery on the divided 4 lane of Highway 80.  We did take the bypass around town and avoided the traffic lights and landmark Edmund Pettus Bridge.  I am not "progressive" in my politics, but I cannot travel Hwy 80 without making note of the campground stops and admire the courage and determination it took to make that walk for voting rights.  I made a mental note to return to Selma with my youngest daughter for a bit of Alabama history and a reminder of how nothing should be taken for granted.

The weather warmed up nicely during the day and the skies were blue.  It was a great day to be out with friends and the invitation is always open to any BamaRides member who would like to join on future rides.

klaviator

Nice report.  It looked like ya'll had a fun day despite not having the greatest roads. 

Nice Goat

Awesome report and photos!  Looks like you had a perfect day for a ride!

The look of happiness....

Quote from: Guidedawg on April 12, 2016, 03:06:43 PM

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Guidedawg

Just like Bert and Ernie (well, except for that whole roommate thing of course)

kdtrull

Quote from: Guidedawg on April 12, 2016, 04:50:15 PM
Just like Bert and Ernie (well, except for that whole roommate thing of course)

Ha....that's a goodern'!  ;D
Thanks for sharing the ride with us.

kdt

VWCarlos

It was a great day of riding and eating. I didn't layer up quite as good as I should have so I was pretty cold on the first leg. It warmed up though and my clothing decision worked out pretty good for the ride home. As far as the roads go I think the worse road was the section of 25 heading south out of Greensboro. Riding staggered I should have stayed on the right side of the lane but ended up staying on the left side because of all the bad patches and ruts. The food was great. I am a bit of a cheeseburger addict. I have a very hard problem not trying one when visiting a new place. It was hand patties (a sign It's fresh and it frozen) and very juicy.  The pie lab was great as well. I had the key lime icebox pie and it was good but it was brown... I tried others and I think i can safely say that the Oreo was the best. All in all I got to say it was another great day to enjoy the ride. Thanks again Guidedawg!
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100