Road test around Baldwin County after changing timing belts 4/23/16

Started by Chuck & Susan, April 24, 2016, 10:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck & Susan

On Friday, I changed the timing belts and oil on the bike.  So of course I had to make sure all was right with a ride on Saturday.  I started the ride to get some pictures for the theme tag of movie sights in the area.  My first planned stop ended up being my last at it was very busy when I first went by. 

My first stop was at a house on Hwy 181 that was used in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".  See if you can recognize it (hint:  think of the scene with the little boy seeing the lights from the spacecraft through the kitchen windows).

Then to one everyone should recognize, the USS Alabama.  It was used in "Under Seige" and the upcoming movie "USS Indianapolis, Men of Courage".

This shows the bike in Baldwin County with the ship being in Mobile County..I think a neat shot.

Then I headed north on AL Hwy 225 to get some historical pictures.  Blakeley Park, Saluda Hills Cemetery and Veterans Memorial Cemetery are all right together.  With Civil War re-enactments, ghost stories; there is a lot of history to learn at these places. 

My ride continued on AL Hwy 225 and AL Hwy 59.  Here are some various pictures of historical markers and my stops. 

On the way back south, I stopped off at a natural spring where people where getting containers of the water.  The water is very cold and good. 

My last stop (which was going to be my first but it was very busy at the time) is in front of a family restaurant "Mac's & Jerry's".  A lesser know movie, "Hometown Legend" was filmed there.  You should find the movie and check it out.  If you are heading to Gulf Shores, you pass this place when you go through Robertsdale.  Stop by and get a bite to eat.  It is home cooking and only opened for breakfast and lunch. 

Beautiful day for an awesome ride. 

Oh, by the way, the belts worked fine. 
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

jrobinson

lazeebum

kdtrull

Close Encounters....awesome.  I had no idea.  That's one of my all-time favorites.  Cool report thanks for sharing.

VWCarlos

Awesome report! I had "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" on my mind when I posted the them tag.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Guidedawg

I considered grabbing some pics from Wetumpka for the movie theme but am glad someone else posted from a different area.  I grew up in North Mobile County and they told me the saucer passing the truck scene was on Radcliff Road so it was one of the first places I thought of.

I've always wanted to explore the Alabama history on the "other" side of the river, but my rides have always been in Washington and Clarke Counties when I head south.

Great report and pics, thanks!