News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

carb trouble

Started by vtxrider, April 25, 2016, 07:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtxrider

Need some help with a carb problem on a 2003 honda ace. It's been sitting up for a while but not long I think the float  is stuck and when you crank it gas pours out the overflow tube. Can I remove the bottom of the float  to work on it or will I have to take the carb off? Or is the even my problem to begain with?  What yall think ?  Thanks Smiley with a broken foot.

Nice Goat

Sounds like you are on the right track.  Personally, I would remove and clean the whole carb.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

kdtrull

I would try whoopin on the bowl with a tool and if it works, load it up with heaping helping of seafoam.

01YZF6

Best option is to remove and clean all carbs. Just don't get any rubber bits with cleaners!  They swell or deteriorate

bblass

Taking it out and cleaning it is almost always the best answer. Usually, a carb problem isn't just one but one major one and several smaller ones in the making. It sounds like your float valve has come off the pin or that the floats have bound up. At the very least take off the float bowl and take a look inside. I'd put a paper towel or something similar underneath to catch anything that may fall if you're doing it on the bike. If it looks bad, put the bowl back on and take off the entire carb. It's far easier to remove jets and pins if you're not trying to contort yourself in a tiny space. If you decide to take it off and do a good spring cleaning, harbor freight sells some micro drill bits for around $3 that I've found are perfect for cleaning jets.

If it looks bad and you want to give it the deep clean, I've got a 3 stage carb cleaning setup in my garage you're welcome to use. I'm in the bham area right off 65. Good luck!
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

vtxrider

Thanks everybody for the information sounds like time to take it off and clean it. Maybe even rebuild while it's out

vtxrider

Well I took the carburetor off the bike, no easy task by the way either there was no room or my hands are way too big. Anyway I found one float stuck and one main jet completely stopped up fix that put it back together put it back on the bike. It quit spitting gas out and would idle but when you give it gas it just bogged down. So I took it off again called my friend at Barely Legal bikes on 72 and he said if I found those two problems that there were more. So I took it to him to let him take it completely apart and soak it. I just think that was to big a task for me because I don't have the skills it takes to put all those parts back together. So I let the pro handle it.

01YZF6

Chances are the float valve seats/needles are gummed up, and there is some clogging in all the jets.

While it's apart and the carbs are out, check/replace the fuel filter, empty the tank and clean, etc

vtxrider

Quote from: 01YZF6 on May 03, 2016, 10:28:26 AM
Chances are the float valve seats/needles are gummed up, and there is some clogging in all the jets.

While it's apart and the carbs are out, check/replace the fuel filter, empty the tank and clean, etc
yeah I have emptied the tank and cleaned it and it sure wouldn't hurt to get a new filter.

Sagebrush

After they sit up the float needles with the rubber tips swell and won't seal right or the o-rings on the float assembly shrink and allow a rich mix. Best to just replace the whole mess of internal parts and set the float correctly. My last carb kit came off eBay for like $12, a moose branded kit. Surprisingly it was a good complete kit and very cheap. It came with all the replaceable parts and stock jets.

vtxrider

Ok I had my crab cleaned at a bike shop here in Athens Barely legal bikes on  Hwy.72 and it still don't run good. Let me tell you what it's doing start it up it runs rough like it's cold for way to long, it also back fires. If you give it gas slowly very slowly it will finely get to running pretty good. Once you get it hot and running down the road it runs fine. It has two crabs made together one for the front and one for the back. If they mixed the two main jets which are different I know would that cause it to run rough until it gets hot and then smooth out? Reason I ask is because some on else told me that's  what it sounded like the problem was.

bblass

Have you sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake while it's running? Sometimes that will be enough to clear a little debris that gets stuck in the jets. To me, it sounds like it's being starved for fuel. I'd start by checking the line and filter all the way from the petcock to the carb bowl. If it's clear and flows well then it's probably a pilot jet issue. Just out of curiosity, does it run better on choke?

vtxrider

Quote from: bblass on June 09, 2016, 10:21:17 AM
Have you sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake while it's running? Sometimes that will be enough to clear a little debris that gets stuck in the jets. To me, it sounds like it's being starved for fuel. I'd start by checking the line and filter all the way from the petcock to the carb bowl. If it's clear and flows well then it's probably a pilot jet issue. Just out of curiosity, does it run better on choke?
yes it runs a little better but bogs down when you give it gas I put new filter on it and the lines are clear. It messing with my head.

bblass

Sounds like a clog in your main jet or line is messing up your air fuel ratio. When you richen the mixture with the choke it will run a little better but not enough to compensate for a rapid increase in the air by quickly pulling up the slide. A clogged line, filter is the simplest fix and what I would start with. From there I'd check the float valve (probably not it, but why not while you're there) then your pilot and main jets. Harbor freight sells a set of micro drill bits that are the greatest thing ever for cleaning carbs and they're only $2. Use those to go through all the holes on your jets and it should be like new. I'd still get a $5 can of carb cleaner and put a few long sprays through the intake first though.

bblass

If you're still having trouble with it, and you're in the Bham area I'd be happy to help you diagnose one evening