News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Day off grab a cache ride

Started by Guidedawg, April 26, 2016, 04:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

I had a three day weekend and took care of as much yard work, etc. as I was going to do on Saturday and Sunday so that I could have Monday open for a ride.  I considered taking my first ride on the "Tail of the Lizard" but instead I decided to pick up two specific geocaches I was after.  One was at Lake Martin and the other in Eclectic.  My honey decided to tag along and the weather was perfect for a ride.

We took back roads including Redland Rd/Friendship Rd and Cherokee Trail to get to Kent and then took 229 North until we went East on 50 and then on to our destination on Overlook Road.

Overlook was a rougher road than those we traveled, but it has some beautiful diversions.  We pulled off at a trailhead that had an observation deck.

I found the cache at that location and then we rode a backtracked half mile to the one I was looking for.  I needed a particular terrain/difficulty combination to fill a grid and the cache here was hidden in a rocky area that required a bit of climbing.

After a bit of stumbling I found the container, signed the log, and considered the trip a success.  Anything else would be icing on the cake and our next stop was sweet indeed.

At the intersection of Overlook and Hwy 50 there is an open gate for Alabama Power Company and it says the public is welcome to enter.  We rode up a beautiful wooded drive to a nice overlook where we could see the upper side of Martin Dam.

They also had an old turbine on display (which also housed a geocache find).  My wife was gracious enough to give a bit of perspective of the size.

We took 50 West until we came to Hwy 63 and went south into Eclectic.  I had solved a puzzle cache earlier that revealed coordinates for a container on Fleahop Road.  After I made the find, I came upon the intersection of E Fleahop and Claud Flehop.  I stayed on E Fleahop until I came to Highway 14 (Tallassee Hwy) and turned towards Wetumpka.  Imagine my surprise when I saw an intersection of S Fleahop also.

When I asked friends with the FaithRiderz about roads in the area, it was recommended that I enjoy the best burgers in Elmore County.

Just like my trip earlier in the month to Greensboro, I found myself in an unassuming gas station and country store

But let me tell ya, that food was great!  There was a lot more to choose from than I would have suspected, but we each got burgers (hers loaded and mine more simple) and then shared our sides of onion rings and cheese bites.

The burgers really hit the spot after a few hours of riding. The cheese bites were probably prepackaged but very good and salty with a choice of ranch or marinara.  However, the onion rings were outstanding – Vidalia onions and beer battered.

We decided we will return later.

With full bellies and a nice ride behind us we detoured Wetumpka by turning on Firetower Road and heading back to Redland and a return home.

Unfortunately, I see that my camera was unintentionally off on the roads I most wanted to show – the return down Overlook and the entrance to Alabama Power.  So instead here is about two minutes worth of riding to give a general idea of some of the roads.

And although I am nowhere near having to braid my beard again, since shaving completely at Christmas it has at least grown out enough to get that I've-been-on-the-bike-windblown-look.

kdtrull

Great scenery.  I'm glad you made time for a nice ride and took the time to show it to us. WTG

lazeebum

Nice ride report. Good job with the video. Alabama is truly beautiful.

KrisCook

Great RR, stunning beard. Excellent work!
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

VWCarlos

I was at the damn and overlook on Sunday... I took a buddy and his daughter up to horseshoe bend and stopped by there on the way back to Equality. That burger looks awesome... Might have to make a trip up there just to have one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Bluesman

Nice report and pics.......Now I am craving a Bush's burger ;D