News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

"Adventure" Saddlebags

Started by gharshman, June 30, 2016, 10:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

It's been a while since I priced soft saddlebags.  Originally I wanted dry bags, like the Wolfman Expedition bags or the Giant Loop Great Basin bag, but I can't bring myself to spend $500 for soft saddlebags when I'll probably only use them two or three times a year.  When I retire and take off to Alaska... Maybe.  But not now.

So I started looking at other options.  I used to have the Wolfman Monarch Pass soft saddlebags, but I sold them because they were too small at 19 liters each.  I'd like more volume.

So I decided on the Nelson Rigg CL-855 Touring Saddlebags.  Ken has a prior version on his KLR, and I was impressed with the rigidness and the volume of the bags.  They are almost 30 liters each.  At $150 a pair, they are a tremendous value for me.  I had $20 in Revzilla credits, so I got them for $130 with free 2-day shipping.

But they are not waterproof, so I headed over to Amazon and picked out some SealLine lightweight dry sacks.  They had much better reviews than the Sea to Summit bags, and they were available in 30 liter size.  Bought one for each saddlebag @ $35 each, free 2-day with Amazon Prime.

Can't wait for my first camping trip on the KLR!

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

Quote from: Nice Goat on June 30, 2016, 10:29:54 AM

Can't wait for my first camping trip on the KLR!

This coming weekend would be the perfect opportunity to try them out in N. GA. 8)

merc16

Justin

Nice Goat

Quote from: merc16 on July 05, 2016, 10:09:16 PM
Let's see 'um mounted !

Sorry it took so long ... Been busy!

Here are the bags.  Also mounted a Pelican box, tank bag, and highway pegs....

merc16

Oh yea, sexy saddlebags ! Jus' kiddin. They are a good fit for the bike.

Dibs on KLR !
Justin

kdtrull

Are those the Motech peg mounts?  I need some that don't cost 90 clams.

Nice Goat

Quote from: kdtrull on July 15, 2016, 07:34:39 AM
Are those the Motech peg mounts?  I need some that don't cost 90 clams.

Yeah, I didn't really want to spend that much, but the fit and finish are nice.  I don't have the time or skills to engineer stuff like some other people!