News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Fair Weather Only Riders Rant

Started by TwoLaneBlackTop, September 08, 2016, 01:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian A

Quote from: KevinB on September 10, 2016, 02:26:58 PM
Disparagement of other members is a bad trait that was prevalent on the old BR site...good to see we're getting back to normal.

Best line of 2016.

Quote from: Brian A on September 10, 2016, 06:44:16 AM
Side note - interestingly, some of the top individual "snap shot" memories I have from the countless days spent riding with buddies, involve riding in the rain.

Kevin B - one of them happens to involve you (and others) on a Nessler Chain Stretcher Ride, somewhere. Tennessee?
It was a bonafide, trash moving, frog strangling, flash flood. You were in front of me, riding through small rivers that crossed the road.

It was an outstanding day of riding!

TFancher

Riding with KevinB in the rain. Devils Triangle with Shane, Glenn, Patrick, and Greg. One of my favorite riding memories.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

KevinB

^^Both rides were some of the hardest rain I've ridden through...and both were some of the best riding memories I have.

I don't consider rain riding "fun", ie: I don't go out and seek it, but I also have enough confidence in my riding ability and mastery of my machine that it doesn't frighten or bother me to do it. My stress level rises just a bit due to the "liquid lobotomy" effect rain has on other drivers but with the right gear sometimes it is almost enjoyable, especially if I'm on a long trip...it can break the monotony and is almost cathartic at times, taking in all the sensory aspects (the smell, the cooling effect, hearing the hiss of the tires on the pavement, etc.). In fact, I think I ride better in the rain because I lose all distractions and concentrate on riding.

Mr. Happy was a little unsure at first...but we had fun.

QuoteRiding with KevinB in the rain. Devils Triangle with Shane, Glenn, Patrick, and Greg. One of my favorite riding memories.

From this...

To this, in the span of three minutes...

Nice Goat

Quote from: TFancher on September 11, 2016, 10:35:29 AM
Riding with KevinB in the rain. Devils Triangle with Shane, Glenn, Patrick, and Greg. One of my favorite riding memories.

Ditto.  I was puckered up, mostly because my glasses and faceshield were completely fogged over.  I have no idea how I made it off that road without a scratch.  And I wouldn't trade the memory for anything.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

kdtrull

Quote from: KevinB on September 11, 2016, 12:42:50 PM

That is an absolutely great picture.  Who did that???

And, in regards to my ass-nes...if the implied back-it-up did not register....I apologize.  I just can't stomach anyone getting whooped on for what they can or cannot do.

I don't think that was the intent anymore....I hope it wasn't, anyways.

KevinB

Quote from: kdtrull on September 11, 2016, 06:48:01 PM

That is an absolutely great picture.  Who did that???

That was done by one of the Dragon photogs (can't remember which one in particular).

I didn't mean to sound as if I feel like I'm a better rider because I ride in the rain, just to say that I don't let it ruin my ride if it happens.

springer

Ride when you are comfortable to ride. Ride when you feel like riding. If, for what ever reason YOU do not feel up to it, don't.
It is as simple as that.
  Personally I would much prefer that if you do not feel like going, you don't.

I am not going to talk you into it.
I will not try to shame you into it.
I will not disparage you if you cancel.
I will not bitch about it.

Not because I am a super nice guy who has this deep well of understanding and compassion for my fellow man.

It is because I really don't give a f#ck.  ;)

The reason I don't give a f#ck is my riding enjoyment is not dependent on you. I am responsible for my riding enjoyment. If I feel like, I will do it.

With a group or not.

I am perfectly happy to go by my lonesome self if I want to go. Matter of fact I would much prefer to go by myself than to go with anyone who is going to bitch the whole time because of rain, heat, cold or what ever.

Or, worse yet, someone who will be riding beyond their abilities do to weather, a over estimation of their abilities, or their equipment.

Crashing sux...............and so does waiting on the ambulance to show, talking to the police, dealing with seeing the rider in pain, and all the other fun stuff that happens when someone goes down.

So if for what ever reason you ever do not want to go on a ride with me, do not go.

It is cool with me.   

Take it as you will.

BTW, THAT /\ is how you do a rant.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

lazeebum

I'm not gonna ride if I don't think I am able to. If I am not comfortable with a situation, I will not try it.

TwoLaneBlackTop

Lots of interesting feedback. I mostly ride alone and some of you have given me more insight as to why. And after further information I understand my friends reason for wanting a possible rain check. This is a high school group. Most of us haven't seen each other in 40 years. My rain check friend isn't in the best of health and I wasn't aware of that till today. In spite of that he says he's changed his mind and is coming hell or high water and was the first to book a room. Someone above made the statement about the crash and helicopter airlift and all. Thank you. I'm informing my old friend ASAP that he's not expected if foul weather arises.

kdtrull

Your tag line says a lot....and I'm still learning the principles of it, at dang near 50. I'm often a little slow on the uptake.  I hope y'all  have a fine ride.

Chuck A.

Quote from: springer on September 12, 2016, 05:23:44 AM

..................BTW, THAT /\ is how you do a rant.  ;)

Sounds more like a Geritol moment! You're losing your edge Springer. :o

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

springer

Quote from: Chuck A. on September 12, 2016, 08:40:31 PM
Quote from: springer on September 12, 2016, 05:23:44 AM

..................BTW, THAT /\ is how you do a rant.  ;)

Sounds more like a Geritol moment! You're losing your edge Springer. :o

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yep, some of it. It happens as you get older. Refusing to acknowledge it can land you in an ambulance ride like I mentioned above. /\

But from what I have seen over the years, pride is a much bigger factor in the ambulance factor.

Most of the crashes I have seen over the years could be directly linked to a rides pride over writing his/her skill level. (More the guys than the ladies too. Most guys are tougher in their minds than in their bodies.  ;) )

Never to fool yourself is a hard thing not to do.   8)

It generated some butt hurt but C'est la vie, I think the O.P. got what I was saying, to bad some of the others did not.

Any who................ride your own ride and all that.

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Chuck A.

................Refusing to acknowledge it can land you in an ambulance ride........................

You nailed that one. Been there, done that.

......................Most of the crashes I have seen over the years could be directly linked to a rides pride over writing his/her skill level................

Learn this the hard way. Got too many fake joints and screws now. I've slow way down from 20 years ago.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

IceCold4x4

I won't leave the house on the bike if it's raining but if i'm more than 3 or 4 minutes away from the house oh well. And I've never had rain gear, I just deal with being wet.

polarissalesman

I understand about taking off and having plans. BUT, I'm old and I ride for fun, it's not fun being rained on for 2 or 3 days it's not enjoyable to me. I've done it because I didn't have any choice. Do I like it NO. I like so many others have stated wouldn't want anyone to ride if they were uncomfortable with conditions. Just my opinion...
"keep the rubber side down"