Abandoned CHP BMW R1200RT on Hwy 72 near Gurley

Started by Hammerdown77, September 29, 2016, 10:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammerdown77

Have any of you guys who are frequently on Hwy 72 near Gurley seen this bike at the abandoned gas station on the South side of the highway (near the Piggly Wiggly on the other side)? My friend who drives this road every day in to work told me about it this morning, and sent these pictures. Said it's been there since at least Sunday. The tag is a current CA tag, but he called CHP and they said it wasn't a highway patrol tag, as theirs don't have letters in them. They also said those bikes aren't sold to the public with the stickers still on them, so he should probably call Alabama State Troopers and report it.

I'm wondering if it was a fly and ride, and they broke down. But then the fact it still has stickers doesn't make since if it was auctioned.
Could also be stolen, but then why would you put an up to date tag on it. Unless that was stolen as well.

2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

jrobinson

My son saw it on Sunday, said a man and woman was with the bike.

I've seen it everyday this week and though it odd it was still there.

VWCarlos

Seems a little fishy to me... Cops usually don't take cross country trips on their duty bikes...
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Hammerdown77

Really??

I was just having a conversation with some co-workers about possible scenarios, and I actually suggested it might be a movie/TV prop bike. We also thought it might just be a replica that someone had made up to look like a CHP bike, but then law enforcement tends to frown on stuff like that.

On co-worker has a AL state tropper friend and he called him and asked him about it. The officer said he'd forward the info to his chief and they'd check it out.
2016 BMW R1200 GS

KevinB

Maybe he's been in high speed pursuit for over two thousand miles, and it's evidence...valuable evidence...that's gonna convict a maniac.

KevinB

The tag shows the bike is not stolen, and the registrant lives a mile or so from it's current location.

Shepcam

He is wanted for a man act, kidnapping and the endangerment of over 20 brother officers...
2013 Kawasaki Concours

Chuck A.

Could be an insurance job in the making. I saw it also on Tuesday. At that location it could be easily stolen.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

Chitza

Quote from: Nice Goat on September 29, 2016, 02:23:39 PM
8712 was Jon's badge number on CHiPs

Am I the only person concerned that the Goat knows this fact?? 8)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Guidedawg

Nah, but if he tosses out Ponch's measurements..then I'd be concerned.

I can't wait to see how this misplaced bike plays out.

KevinB

Quote from: Chuck A. on September 30, 2016, 06:47:04 AM
Could be an insurance job in the making. I saw it also on Tuesday. At that location it could be easily stolen.
Possible,  but I'd say unlikely...

-  Probably would have removed the CHP livery...marked police units are at a low risk for theft (they stand out and are easy to spot).

- Also would have likely removed accessories,  LED lights,  etc. in order to sell them separately after the "theft".

- 2009 BMW RT-P's don't have a huge parts demand. Squids and stuntas that crash with no insurance are generally looking for GSXR's, etc.  BMW riders that crash generally have good insurance and the means to fix their bike

- It would be much easier/quicker to strip saleable parts off,  then dump it in the woods and set it on fire, than to park it roadside and wait for it to be stolen.

Or,  maybe this is their first time and they didn't think it through. :)

VWCarlos

Quote from: Chitza on September 30, 2016, 07:00:46 AM
Quote from: Nice Goat on September 29, 2016, 02:23:39 PM
8712 was Jon's badge number on CHiPs

Am I the only person concerned that the Goat knows this fact?? 8)

I thought that was common knowledge for us kids of the 70's and 80's. Ponch was B600. Their call numbers were 7 Mary 3 for Jon and 7 Mary 4 for Ponch...
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Hammerdown77

I knew the call numbers, but not the badge.

I was still fairly young when this show was on, so badge numbers probably didn't even register through the motorcycle chase scenes. Hell I didn't even understand the plots half the time. Motorcycles, guns, cars flying through the air, these were my focal points at that age :)
2016 BMW R1200 GS

KevinB

CHiPs conditioned me as a kid to watch for 60's model vans when I became driving age. Stay far,  far away from those...invariably they'll flip over and catch fire.