News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Suggestions for sleep

Started by Guidedawg, September 29, 2016, 04:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

Here's my semi-hypothetical:

A large cruiser with smallish saddlebags and a luggage rack behind the passenger backrest.
What is recommended for the basic camping needs?

I could easily pack all I need, but with a passenger, particularly the one to which I am married, my eye turns toward a bit more comfort.
We would use a commercial campsite so I can have electricity for the CPAP.  I have a small 3 man tent, though the bag is long gone.  So I either pack it in some sort of duffle or buy a $25 tent.

In other words, this is for a very once-in-a-while occasion. (In this case, a 3 night trip involving one campsite, one hotel, and one relative's home - so room for clothing and gear)

My question for you experienced campers, is what do you recommend for a sleeping pad and sleeping bags? Particularly for those that can be easily strapped to or packed in a bike? (I've never used a compression bag, so would like to learn about that also)

klaviator

Are you sure you can pack all that stuff on your bike?  The couples I have seen who where on one bike and camping generaly where on adventure or touring bikes with huge saddle bags, tail trunk, tank bag and sometimes even a trailer.  Personally I wouldn't attempt two up and camping. 

However, if you can pack it all then go for it.  For me the hardest thing was to find an air mattress that wasn't too bulky yet comfortable enough for me to sleep on.  I've been using a Coleman air mattress sized for a cot.  It's bigger and thicker than most of the pads designed for hikers but smaller than a full size.  I found it at Wally World for 25 bucks.  Of course with a mattress that size you need a pump to inflate it.  The pump I got has rechargeable batteries and is pretty small.  It was around 40 bucks at Dick's.  If you will have electricily at the campsite you can find pumps that plug in.  They tend to be cheaper but also bigger.

As for your tent, roll it up as small as you can and stuff it in a duffel bag.  Then stuff as much other stuff as you can in with it.  If the tent fills up the entire duffel bag, it's too bulky to haul on the bike.  I bought a 7 x 7 two person tent at Wally World about 6 or 7 years ago.  It's barely big enough for me but I'm 6-2.  It is very compact and has held up well.  However I recently bought a more expensive and better tent.  Although the cheap tent never leaked I never used it in really nasty weather.

Now don't forget you still need sleeping bags and some sort of pillows.  Some people use their jackets as pillows.  I tried that and it wasn't comfortable for me.  Sleeping bags that are warm and compact tend to be very pricey.  If it's warm out you can get away with very thin sleeping bags but if it's cold.....

Oh yeah, you need to bring that CPAP along and some clothes.  Good luck packing it all on your bike. 

Chitza

Ha! Send me pics of your luggage with inside dimensions and tell me what your budget is. Also the dimensions of the CPAP. I'll put the list together for you ;)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

jrobinson

Guidedawg

Well, heck.  I forgot that I do have a (much less durable and cheaper version) motorcycle backpack similar to that.  I need to pull that out!

Clothes for 3 days (including shoes)..CPAP..tent...pad...bags.

But even if we just try the camping (with the SUV) instead. I'll still need something new for the smaller tent (I have a very large tent we used in the past) and we need new sleeping bags, so those recommendations are still welcomed.

Just keep in mind, I may try to strap them to the bike one day so less is more.

springer

Are you planning to camp in the southeastern U.S.? If so, take a look at a 2 person hammock. Packs much smaller than a tent, sleeping bag, pad, air mattress.
Matter of fact, 2 one person hammocks will pack much smaller.
Carry 2 air pillows, a couple of blankets and you are golden.

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

James L

I have to admit, I've only been thinking of this, but I was leaning toward:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G3PE6FG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2CVOCXA9RO1LX&coliid=I39B3DMDLYKPJL&th=1&psc=1

It packs down real small, but it is pricey. I've heard from people that it sleeps very nice.

James L

Chitza

I will have some of these at Vintage. You are welcome to try one out. BamaRides discount of course!

http://www.campingcot.com
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

VWCarlos

I do a lot of backpacking and the goal is the same for space and weight. After all who wants to carry a 30lb tent ten miles a day through the woods. I have a few tents but have not used them in a long time. I usually just use a tarp or hammock. Both does the trick for me for providing a dry place to rest for the night. For a mattress I use a Big Agnes. Yes, they are a little pricey but worth their weight in gold (Which isn't much really since they don't weigh much) when you have been hiking or riding all day and want a comfy sleeping spot. They are really light weight and very compact. Mine rolls up to the size slightly bigger than a coke can.I got plenty of stuff if you need to borrow anything. Just let me know what you need and I more than likely have doubles of it. Also have a nice sized sissy bar bag with the top roll and all...
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Yankee Dog

There are three aspects to sleeping bags.  Lightweight, cheap, and warm.  Pick two because you can't have all three at once.  Same goes for tents and most everything else.

Truly, it would be cheaper to stay another night in a really nice hotel than buy a full camping set up for two.  I wouldn't do it for just a single night