News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Anyone has a pair of inside micrometers?

Started by James L, November 07, 2016, 06:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James L

I'm about to embark on a maintenance blash on my new to me bike, and I'm wondering if my brake calipers are within specifications. I have a  pair of calipers, but need a set of micrometers to get past the lip on the rotors to measure them for wear. I plan to replace the brake pads, when I decide what brand I'm going with.

I was wondering if anyone near to Birmingham has a pair I would swing by and let you measure the rotors.

James L

springer

The brake pads should pop out pretty easy. Just take the lid off the master cylinder then gently pry the brake pad from the rotor, undo the clip (should be on top) and the pads should lift out.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

I can bring my verniers to Kevin's garage party next Monday, if that helps.  I'll be changing my brake pads and my tires that evening.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

lk2rd

Any shop that turns rotors for autos will have micrometers suited to measure rotors.  The proper mic will have pointed spindles to measure in the grooves of worn rotors.  I doubt they would charge for the measurement.

James L

Quote from: Nice Goat on November 08, 2016, 08:03:11 AM
I can bring my verniers to Kevin's garage party next Monday, if that helps.  I'll be changing my brake pads and my tires that evening.

That would be great!!!

I was planning to ride the bike as well.

James L