News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

KLX 250 cold start fix

Started by Gam, November 08, 2016, 04:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gam

Early KLX 250's have a notorious cold starting issue. Some people claim no problem but most people do have a problem.  The remedies are numerous..drill the starter jet, shave the ACR, run it out of fuel before you cut it off, lay it on it's side until the bowl overflows, hold the front brake and rock the bike, put you hand over the end of the exhaust and crank. So some time ago I read a thread where this guy put a jetski fuel primer on his and claimed with two pushes on the plunger the bike would crank right up at 25 degrees. He did an update in a year and said it still worked, then I saw where he sold his 2006, got a 2007 and put one on that. Mine is a 2006 and more than once I have killed the battery trying to crank in cold weather. The bike is simply not suitable for cold weather camping, so I wind up only taking the KLR when it is really cold.   So I put a jetski fuel primer on it. It was only 45 degrees this morning, I gave it one squirt and it cranked right up, it might have done that anyway. The test will come with a night of low 30"s.

Here is the pump plunger secured on the idle adjustment mount. There is  "T" fitting in the gas line from the tank which doesn't show in the pic. The middle of the "T" connects to the primer input, then the output of the primer goes to a nozzle. The "T" and nozzle come with the primer kit.  I drilled a hole in the boot on the air side of the carb, just right before the mouth of carb, glued and sealed the nozzle in there and hooked it up to the output of the primer. We shall see.  :o

Gam

22 degrees this morning and the bike sits in an unheated shed. Choke on, three squirts with the plunger and it fired right up.