News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Midway Cycles

Started by klaviator, September 18, 2015, 01:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

While I was disappointed in the fact that I couldn't ride my new bike,  I wasn't really pissed...until a few minutes ago.

I originally got an OTD price,  and didn't really pay attention to the break down until just a few minutes ago when I dropped a copy of the BOS off at the credit union. I was charged $400 for "set up".

I got "set up" alright...

KevinB

So far he's been a really nice guy. I can understand mechanical failure, as parts break. This issue was purely human error and there should have been several opportunities for it to have been caught, both at the factory and dealer level.

At this point, there seems to be a lack of "enthusiasm" to go above merely replacing the affected parts. When I queried about KTM throwing in some swag for the hassle of dealing with their screw up, he said he'd "contact them and we'll see". When I mentioned the flat tires due to the piss poor pre-delivery inspection, "I'll find out who did the PDI". And when I speak to him again, I'll bring up the set-up fee. But I shouldn't have to ask...it should be done out of customer service initiative.

An impressive show of customer service and "we're going to make this right, right now..." would have been to pull the parts off the mechanically identical 2014 model on the floor and have my bike up the next day...then wait for the parts from KTM to repair their bike.

lk2rd

Has the dealer given you an ETA on the parts or advised you if the parts are in stock in the USA?  You would think if they are available from a US warehouse, they could be at the dealer next day and installed same day they arrived.  Of coarse, that would require some extra effort and expense for the dealer.  KTM warranty policies may also be restricting the dealer.

DachshundUberAlles

It is against the dealership agreement to pull parts off of an unsold unit to repair another. That is not unique to any brand, but common to all brands. Dealerships are bound by franchise contracts with the manufacturers. As upset as any customer may be about a failure (regardless of the circumstance behind it), asking for a unit to unit parts swap is asking the dealer to risk their franchise. I've spent enough working time in dealerships to tell you plainly that they are every bit as eager to get this issue resolved as you are.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

KevinB

It might be against the rules, but it's been done before.  ;)

I would think that the lack of PDI, condition at delivery, and lack of a delivery checklist would also violate a manufacturer's requirement. I've never purchased a new KTM before, but every other brand I've bought new had a checklist that the sales or service manager went over with me concerning the assembly and operation of the motorcycle that I had to sign.

This delivery consisted of...{opens gas cap} "Looks like it's got about half a tank of gas...here ya go."

Shepcam

With no delivery checklist you should have them by the balls....cant believe they did not provide that. Poor service and I would hesitate to shop there because of that. Tells me either they are not well trained or care.
2013 Kawasaki Concours

norton73

Sounds like another dealer to add to my list of places to avoid.
I stopped in there once a year or two ago and interested in the ktm 950 smt . I couldn't get anyone to talk to me about it, the only people in there was a parts guy who was more interested in talking to his buddies on the phone about the previous weekend riding.
Now I'm glad I didn't talk to anyone there.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

klaviator

I'm a regular customer at Midway.  I bought a scooter there, have bought some parts and accessories and I get all my street tires there.  Most of my experiences there have been positive.  The last negative I can remember was recently I got a rear tire for my Majesty.  The service guy mounting it was new and didn't seem to have any scooter experience.  He took forever and then mounted it backwards.  When I pointed it out they quickly remounted it.

Recently I had some electrical work done on my Kymco.  I was expecting to pay at least 100 bucks but the bill was only 30. 

I'll continue to get my tires there because they have great prices and will mount the tires without an appointment while I wait.  However, I always check the tire before riding it and check the pressure after I get home.  This is something I would do at any dealer.  Normally they have had the tire pressures pretty close to what I wanted.

Every dealer will sometimes screw things up.  Good techs are hard to find.  How often they screw up and how they handle it when they do separates the good dealers from the bad.  I have talked to a number of other Midway customers.  Most like the place but a few had bad experiences.  Most of the complaints I have heard about Midway where long wait times for service during the riding season.  That's true of most service departments. 

The only salesman they have is Bill, the owner, so if he's not around it might be tough to get info on the bikes for sale.  The people behind the counter mostly just sell parts.

KevinB

He dropped it off this afternoon while I'm at work...I haven't seen it yet. Hopefully it's fixed.

Blamed the piss-poor set-up on the tech saying he "must have forgotten...". I'll be tearing it down tomorrow to see what else was forgotten. The overall lackadaisical attitude of the situation means they can also forget my business in the future.

KevinB

This is how I got it back. The parts appear to have been replaced, but they didn't bother to clean the paste created by the aluminum dust and chain lube covering the rear wheel. And the entire bike is covered in waterspots and greasy handprints. Can't take an extra 3 minutes to clean it up and look like you take pride in your work?

There's also these nice scratches on the wheel now...

Fencejumper09

Is this what he said when he gave it to the service department?

I can't even imagine how pissed I would be after dealing with this!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

lk2rd

WOW!  For such a simple thing both to repair and to make you happy, these guys have totally screwed the pooch.  They should be embarrassed.

KevinB

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on July 07, 2016, 11:17:54 AM
Is this what he said when he gave it to the service department?

I can't even imagine how pissed I would be after dealing with this!

I believe I found a video of their tech at work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=749iU2Zv1kw

KevinB

Alabama doesn't have a Lemon Law (although I don't believe it would apply in this case anyway since the problem was fixed). As far as I know, Alabama doesn't have a "grace period" for vehicle purchases either. At this point,  I don't want to have to deal with them anymore.

I had a choice to go an hour south and do business with Max Motorsports, or head 1.5 hours north and deal with Midway.  I chose poorly...I will not make that mistake again.

Nice Goat

Quote from: KevinB on July 07, 2016, 01:14:03 PM
Alabama doesn't have a Lemon Law (although I don't believe it would apply in this case anyway since the problem was fixed). As far as I know, Alabama doesn't have a "grace period" for vehicle purchases either. At this point,  I don't want to have to deal with them anymore.

Dude, I would make him fix the scratched wheels.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."