News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

The Ner-a-Car

Started by KrisCook, April 21, 2017, 02:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KrisCook

I ran across this in one of Victoria Rumble's blogs, and it got me interested in it.  I've never seen one of these.  Is there one at Barber?

I'm shamelessly copying stuff from everywhere:

The Neracar was created by Carl A Neracher, built by the Ner-A-Car Corporation in Syracuse, New York in 1921 and also in Sheffield, England later that year.

Carl Neracher acquired a patent for the Neracar in the USA in 1919 and with financing help from razor maker King C. Gillette began production 2 years later.

The Neracar was aimed at people who wanted a comfortable vehicle but couldn't afford a car. And was advertised as "300 miles for a dollar" and 85-100 miles to a gallon and a speed of 35mph.

It featured a single cylinder 13.5 (221cc) cubic inch engine and used friction drive by means of a fabric coated wheel rubbing a flywheel which causes friction and in turn creates motion and a lever to slide the wheel to different positions for changing ratios and acting as different gears (3 speed).

Also unique to the Neracar was the center hub steering system. The British Neracar also known as the Sheffield Simplex version, as it was made under license by the Simplex Luxury Carmaker in Sheffield, England.
It featured a larger engine 285cc two-stroke, and in 1925 was upgraded to a 350cc engine, known as the Blackburne and Model C.

While the American version engine size was increased to 15.5 cubic inch in 1924 and was known as the Model B.
The Ner-A-Car corporation stopped making Neracars in the USA, after the 1924 production model, due to lack of popularity. Production also ceased in England in 1926 after a new luxurious and expensive hybrid model failed, the company closed its motorcycle division.   

Fun stuff.  I bet if I looked a little harder I could find one in the Cannonball.  Apparently they marketed this one to women. 

A bear cat on any hill. 

Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

norton73

I think Barber has one.

Here's an article on one that was ridden to Barber; http://thekneeslider.com/rare-ner-a-car-rolls-up-at-barber-vintage-fest/
Loose nut holding the handlebars