If you could only own 1 motorcycle.....

Started by Brian A, April 22, 2017, 03:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian A

This might have come up before here on BR. I don't remember. Doesn't really matter because I was thinking about it today and thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

So........... if you could only own ONE motorcycle, what would it be? And for the sake of this discussion, let's assume it would be:

ONE motorcycle.
Not a single bike. A single model bike. If you replaced it, you'd have to replace it with the same model. Ignore the possibility of model cancellation by the manufacturer. This is to discuss what each of us would choose as the ONE bike we would choose for the rest of our lives.

Me?

Probably a Hyabusa.

I kid! I kid!

I'd have to do some serious pondering but it would be either a Suzuki DR650 or a Kawasaki KLR650.

I have ridden both and both can do pretty much anything and everything. Not as efficiently as a dedicated purpose bike, but they can do whatever you throw at them. Jacks-of-all-trades. Master-of-none.

I tend to lean towards the DR650. Probably because I own one and I love it. I think it is one of the best all-around motorcycles ever built.

But the KLR..... Lots of appeal there too. Just not as capable off road. But, arguably a bit more suited to the highway stuff.

What would it be for you?

yamahamer

I would have to 2nd the DR650.
The bike is bullet proof and can do a little of everything.
Thanks Brian, now I miss mine again.  ;)

Buzz

A 650 thumper is the only real answer. IMHO.

It doesn't matter which.  They are all really the same bike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

IceCold4x4

I'd have to go with the ZRX. Other than lack of offroad capability (it can still do fire roads and gravel without killing you) it really does everything well enough for me. I've done 800 mile days on it, it should run a 10 second 1/4 mile and the handling is good enough that it'll punch way above what most give it credit for. It's been damn reliable and easy to work on. Only short coming is that with all the power and torque it loves rear tires.

Brian A

The ZRX reminds me of my '84 Nighthawk S: A standard UJM.
And both fine examples.

I did an Iron Butt ride (1000/24) on my Nighthawk S and it did a fine job, but I'd still opt for the DR650 if I could only own one bike.

I look forward to seeing more responses.

IceCold4x4

Quote from: Brian A on April 22, 2017, 09:11:06 PM
The ZRX reminds me of my '84 Nighthawk S: A standard UJM.
And both fine examples.

I did an Iron Butt ride (1000/24) on my Nighthawk S and it did a fine job, but I'd still opt for the DR650 if I could only own one bike.

I look forward to seeing more responses.

Ya that's the problem is the dirt factor. Just really hard to really get a DR or KLR to ride like a dedicated dirt bike. Though what Fencejumper accomplishes on that KTM 690 Enduro is impressive and also with a sumo setup might just be the best all around compromise after thinking some more.

TFancher

I'm going to go with the KLR. Last weekend I did 985 miles on it . I rode it to the woods, through the woods,and then 4 1/2 hours home on the interstate. Other than vibrating out a couple of fillings and a bolt or two, it performed flawlessly. If I can only have 1 bike that would be it.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

springer

Well first of all I will have to say my immediate reaction to this line of thought is;  :o What cha talking about Willis? :o One motorcycle? As in one motorcycle forever? Uuuuaaaagggg.

But I digress.

Yea, a 650 dualsporty type bike can do a little bit of everything but it can not do anything well.

Too heavy for a day of in the mud, in the woods, slippery leaves and big ol'log to cross riding.

Yea it is nimbler than a Adv type bike but a light weight trials bike leaves in in the dirt. Try bunny hopping up onto a ledge and see.

It can travel far on the street but by the end of a long day, or better yet, a long week of traveling, something bigger will be on your mind.

It will flow though a section of twisty pavement with no problem but not as fast nor as confident as a well sorted sportbike.

As far as a trackday goes, yea you could ride it but once you hit the limit of speed it can do, your done.  Game over.

It doesn't matter if you want to admit it or not, limiting yourself to one bike limits what you can do.

But if I am limited to just one bike (and I can not leave that communist state that makes that one bike per person rule  ;) ) make mine a DR650 dualsport.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

klaviator

One motorcycle ?  That would be tough but I'd probably go with a KLR650.  I haven't had a real dirt bike for years so I know I can live without that.  The KLR is really adventure bike, not a dual sport and that works for me.  It's also a pretty good sportbike on the tight and twisty roads that I like.  It's reasonably comfortable for day rides on the street.  What can't it do?  Long days on the highway suck but I seldom do that anyway.  Two up?  I tried that once.  I know some people do it but it wouldn't work for me.  I guess I would consider a slightly bigger Adventure bike.  Maybe the new Yamaha XTZ700 if it ever makes it here.

The rules of this thread said one motorcycle.  It didn't say anything about scooters ;D  So I can still have my Yamaha Majesty for long distance touring and two up riding and a small scooter for running around town ;D  I'd have a real tough time living without at least one scooter.

Chitza

I could live with just one bike if I were just 2" taller. As of now, they don't make my perfect bike...vtwin adventure tour with a 29-30" seat height, low center of gravity vs manageable weight(around 480#). I would choose the vstrom 650 all day long.

My CS is the perfect compromise. The only thing I would add is a 6th gear and another cylinder.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

jrobinson

If I had anything other than a touring bike, I'd be riding solo. Sandy wants comfort and security. She feels safe with bags and a trunk surrounding her.

With that being said, I'm OK with having an old, over-weight, slow, low maintenance ride. I think since I could be described using the same adjectives, my Harley and I are a good match. A Harley touring and me has been known to surprise some folks by what we can do at times.

In the first 50 years of riding in the US, a standard bike did everything. In the 1950's, my Dad took a Triumph 500 and ran hill climbs, raced Flat track, raised hell around town and rode me to my first haircut on the fuel tank. Then the motorcycle companies started building specialty bikes. A bike for racing, one for off-road, one for adventure, one for touring...... Now most riders lean toward the style bike that matches their style of riding.

I'd rather have a touring bike that I can and have taken down a dirt road 1 % of the miles. (Thanks Springer and Lawny)  Than suffering through road miles on the rough ride of a dual sport.

It is hard to say I only want one style of riding. It would be harder to not ride at all. So give me any style bike and I'll enjoy the ride.

Slede

Quote from: yamahamer on April 22, 2017, 03:31:00 PM
I would have to 2nd the DR650.
The bike is bullet proof and can do a little of everything.
Thanks Brian, now I miss mine again.  ;)

I'm missing your bike again too     8)

a dr650 would be great with a wider seat and just a little taller in the bars. those were the only things I ever found needed changing.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

Nice Goat

I'm going to have to agree with Johnny.  I love dual sports and riding dirt & gravel.  But if I could only have one, it would be a comfortable, long-distance touring bike.  I haven't put many miles on the Wing yet, but I can already tell that I am going to love it.  Once I finish cleaning this one up, I may need to trade up for a new one.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

TFancher

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

VWCarlos

I only have one so far so it's not a hard choice for me. I will always own a nice cruiser since that is the type riding I enjoy... With that being said though, I am really wanting to add a dual sport to the stable of motorized wheeled machines in my stable. I grew up riding dirt bikes and all these dirt roads I see while I am out riding the back roads always seem to call my name. I do ride down some of them but with a heavy low riding cruiser there is only so much I want to try. I think my new garage will have plenty of room to add a KLR650 next to the V Star. I just got to convince the wife of that.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100