News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Rain Gear

Started by bblass, June 21, 2017, 08:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

Not commuting to work for the past few days is starting to give me serious moto withdrawals. Judging by the forecast it's time to bite the bullet and buy some rain gear.

Anyone have any experience with Frogg Toggs? They look breathable and hopefully wouldn't be getting used very often. Amazon and ADV Rider both have very mixed reviews on them with regards to reliability and durability.

I'm not ready to buy an aerostitch yet but don't want to pay $60 for something that may not work more than a couple of times.

Any suggestions?
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

klaviator

Frogg Toggs are great.  Much more breathable than any other rain gear I have owned and I've never had any leaks.  Cycle gear has it at a pretty good price.  It's also the only rain pants I have owned that I can put on over my boots without removing them.  I have had my Frogg Toggs for a couple of years but don't know about long term reliability.  I have heard that if you get Frogg Toggs not specifically made for motorcycling it won't last long in the winds generated by riding.

Guidedawg

I've bought the cheaper Frogg Toggs at Wal-Mart and promptly burned a hole in the leg from the exhaust.  They were bad about billowing/puffing out when riding (I looked like the StayPuft Marshmallow Man)

I asked the same question on a VTX forum and on Facebook and had a few recommendations for Nelson Riggs and for Tour Master (and others who like their Frogg Toggs)

Most of the better quality will have a heat shield in the legs but most any will burn if you make contact so I'm just going to order something else online and try to be more careful.

One friend did recommend putting plastic shopping bags over your boots before slipping the pants on over them to keep the inside dry (if already raining).  Another suggesting putting bags over your socks and then down in your boots if water gets inside.

yamahamer

I've been riding every day for 9 weeks now, rain or shine.
The cycle gear frog toggs are great, not a leak yet and the reflective piping is a nice bonus.

SpeedyR

I have two sets of rain gear for sale. I'm in ATL but could ship it over. both are tour master brand. I"m 6'1" and about 185lbs so usually Medium to Large gear. Both sets are designed to fit over riding gear, so cut large and easy to put on over boots. I have played with Frog Tog stuff in the past. Sometimes it depends upon which version you get and what bike you ride. if you ride a naked bike or ride faster and the stuff flaps around a lot (don't buy it too big) it will eventually wear holes in it or get small tears. But some seems to be more durable than others. I haven't looked into it in a long time. Here's what I have for sale:

Tour Master Sentinal waterproof/breathable (similar to goretex but without the high price tag) rain suit jacket and pants- yellow and black. Medium jacket and pants (sized to fit over my/your riding gear) Reflective parts. These are the nicer ones with Nomex on the inside of the pants legs so if you ride a bike with exposed pipes (Harleys) it wont' melt on the pipes. Only used a few times but have been packed along on rides many times. the jacket folds into an attached pouch, the pants have their own bag. MSRP $190 $100obo for jacket and pants

Tourmaster Defender rain suit. two piece rain suit, new with tags, size medium (again it's sized to fit over medium riding gear so it fits large). seam sealed waterproof material. $110 retail, sell for $75. yellow and black.

I could get photos of the stuff if you want to see it or just google it. I have a new rain suit (looks like it'll get a workout this weekend as I'm headed to Suches this weekend) so these were just extras and the Defender suit was for my wife but we sold her street bike and if it's raining she doesn't ride two up with me any more.

bblass

Thanks, Speedy! But I believe those might be a little small for me.

Amazon has the road toad pants for $28. I'll give those a shot and post up a review this weekend. Thanks for the input!
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

JBMFT

"I've bought the cheaper Frogg Toggs at Wal-Mart and promptly burned a hole in the leg from the exhaust. "

This is something you need to look out for no matter what you get.

I have this one piece rain suit I got from Cycle Gear (I know, I know...Bilt is junk...blah, blah, blah). I have been very happy with it for the price. It has kept me dry in several serious downpours.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-tornado-waterproof-rain-suit

Fencejumper09

Now that you have the "Adventure Bike" I would say bite the bullet and get a suit with removable Goretex layers. I have a Revit jacket with a built in goretex layer and it gets warm on hot days. My olympia mesh jacket (from Kevin) has a waterproof liner that goes in easy and packs to a decent size and keeps me real dry.

My ADV pants are Revit Defender GTX and with the rain liner in they have kept me 100% dry. They aren't really an overpant. I think I have bought all of my gear used at great prices from people on here on inmates over at ADVrider. It is a great way to get into top brands for good prices.

Just go full Klim Badlands and you are good to go!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

KevinB

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on June 22, 2017, 08:09:18 AM
My olympia mesh jacket (from Kevin) has a waterproof liner that goes in easy and packs to a decent size and keeps me real dry.

I used my Olympia Dakar mesh jacket yesterday with the rain liner. Rode from Franklin, NC back to B'ham in the rain almost the entire trip (about an hour through Chattanooga w/o rain)...I stayed completely dry. It also has a thermal liner that I've used to @ 50 degrees and was comfortable...it's been a very versatile jacket.

I have a pair of Rev'It pants that have a rain liner, but I find it easier to just slip on a pair of cheap rain pants over the top rather than pull the pants off and try to insert the rain liner on the roadside.

norton73

The problem I have with mesh jackets with waterproof liners is the jacket still gets soaked. If you are camping, you don't want the soggy jacket in the tent, and it's a pain to hang and dry.
If you do hit blue skies, when you remove the liner, you now have a wet jacket against your skin. Not bad on a 90 degree day.
I bought the Bilt jacket and pants just before we left for the Red Mile trip a couple weeks ago. Bought them large enough to go over my mesh gear. Other than some dampness at the neck, it worked well. Good value for the money, I've had more expensive stuff that leaked at the crotch and made me look like I had an accident.
We will see how durable it is over time.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

KevinB

I hit rain for about an hour before I got to my campground in Franklin on Wednesday. Luckily I outran it and unloaded in the dry. :)

Kicked back by the campfire while the gear dries...  ;D

Yankee Dog

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on June 22, 2017, 08:09:18 AM

Just go full Klim Badlands and you are good to go!!

I have a pair of Klim pants.  I forget the model, full waterproof model.  I hate them.  They are unbearable in the summer.  They are sweaty even in the winter.   Yes they are waterproof.  But so is a set of Frogg Toggs. 

Gam

Frog Togs work, but they are a bit bulky if space is at a premium.  I just use a marmot a precip jacket and pants.

kdtrull

These are the frogtoggs they stock at Longshore.  I think they're called the HogToggs series.  Comes with a roll of heat patch and a tube of glue.  $89.00.  Is this the same as what they have at CycleGear?

Yankee Dog

Quote from: Gam on June 23, 2017, 06:29:38 AM
Frog Togs work, but they are a bit bulky if space is at a premium.  I just use a marmot a precip jacket and pants.

I like the original Toggs before they got all fancified.  They wore quickly and seemed thin but they were cheap and completely waterproof to include the zippers.  And they packed down small. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk