News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Tire Talk

Started by MadMax, September 20, 2015, 11:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMax

Given the combined size and weight of both me and my wife, the overall weight capacity of a motorcycle is something that we have to consider when purchasing a bike, and more importantly tires. 

I weigh in at approximately 275lbs, and my wife is "healthy" as well.   We are both over 5'11" so we both wear it well, but trying to find the right tires to support us on a long distance 2-up ride seems to be a little more difficult than for most owners.  I am sure there are others out there who also face this dilemma, so what brands / types of tires do you typically buy to reduce the chances of experiencing problems on long trips?  How many of you went "dark side" to eliminate the problem all together?  What experiences have you had doing so?

KevinB

Combined weight (at the time) of myself and the wife was @ 380 lbs.

Both bikes weighed @ 860 lbs.

Add another 60 - 80 lbs. of gear...

On my K1200LT I used Metzeler ME880's, on my Road King I used both Dunlop 402's and Avons (Venoms I believe)...never had any problems or even worried about tire related issues other than debris related punctures.

Any motorcycle tire designed for touring will handle the weight just fine.

springer

RevZilla has some good videos comparing riding gear and tires. They break it down to price, purpose, and performance.

If I am looking for something new, it is the first place I go. After I find something I am interested in, I ask if anyone has tried them and what do they think about the product.

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

I like dual compound tires -- harder rubber in the center for durability, and softer rubber on the outside for better traction when cornering.  For sport touring, I like the Pilot Road 4 GT  and Avon Storm 3D XMs -- both have stiffer sidewalls for heavier bikes (e.g., FJR, ST, Connie, etc.).
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

lostinbama

Quote from: kwb377 on September 21, 2015, 10:42:34 AM

Dang! Your wife must be tiny!  8)

KevinB

I was @200. 225 now...I just don't carry it very well.  :)

Chuck A.

I like the Commander II's. DennisKirk.com has the best price on them right now. The kind UPS man left a set on my front porch today. He is such a good man to do that. :o
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

IceCold4x4

I think I'll put one of those pilot road 4's on the zrx.  Considering the pilot power only lasted 4k miles.  500 lb bike and 275 lb rider.

Shepcam

Some of them come in a "GT" for heavier bikes. Exp: Pirelli Angel GT, PR 4 GT and I just put on a set of Conti Road Attack 2 GT's on the Connie. First 200 miles and they grip like super glue. Will be doing about 1200 miles this week so we shall see how they hold up.
2013 Kawasaki Concours

terryrussell1

I am currently using the road attack 2 as well. So far I like them.  I have about 2000 miles on them and have only noticed minimal ware. They were priced right around 250 from American motorcycle tire.
http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/

Shepcam

Quote from: terryrussell1 on September 22, 2015, 09:59:20 AM
I am currently using the road attack 2 as well. So far I like them.  I have about 2000 miles on them and have only noticed minimal ware. They were priced right around 250 from American motorcycle tire.

I get all my tires from them. Mine were $270 shipped.
2013 Kawasaki Concours

terryrussell1

Quote from: Shepcam on September 22, 2015, 11:29:02 AM
Quote from: terryrussell1 on September 22, 2015, 09:59:20 AM

I get all my tires from them. Mine were $270 shipped.
Yeah I thank kwb for that place. Best prices I can find so far.

polarissalesman

Quote from: kwb377 on September 21, 2015, 10:42:34 AM

Both bikes weighed @ 860 lbs.

Add another 60 - 80 lbs. of gear...

On my K1200LT I used Metzeler ME880's, on my Road King I used both Dunlop 402's and Avons (Venoms I believe)...never had any problems or even worried about tire related issues other than debris related punctures.

Any motorcycle tire designed for touring will handle the weight just fine.

What kind of bike do you ride ?   did I miss this somewhere ?
"keep the rubber side down"

KevinB

I don't own them anymore...I was referring to the K1200LT and Road King.

Sagebrush

What bike type? Any touring bike with upgraded straight rate springs will get it done. Tires have load ratings, a 67 for example is around 1,000 pounds. My current rear is rated well over 700 pounds. You mainly want to make sure your rear tire is rated to carry the load.

This explains tire ratings and has a load chart:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/tire-data.htm

Cruiser article on the subject: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/getting-loaded-how-much-weight-can-your-motorcycle-handle

I weighed way over 300 pounds for years, so all my bikes were overloaded with me and camping gear even. Haven't had any issues on my KTM950 or the FJR1300 or a ST1300/ST1100. Riding two up would mean I leave the camping gear at home and pack two light garment bags. On my 2006  DL1000 I hardly have room for a passenger even at 250 pounds because I'm 6'-4", but the bike can handle the weight with 1.1 fork springs and a 13.8 rear spring. I think its a good touring mount and the passenger area is decent with a seat concepts kit. The passenger can see over you with the stepped seat. The bikes are fairly cheap and easy to upgrade. I've ran over 500 pounds on mine with no tire issues, I run Tourances and 705's mainly.

Most bikes for touring will be rated for 400 to 500 pounds. So, look at what the bike is rated for first and compare options. Maybe a BMW R1150RT or something with decent payload? Then you can see what tires are available and compare options, go for a touring, sport touring or adventure bike for the larger payloads.