News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Tire Talk

Started by MadMax, September 20, 2015, 11:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedyR

good thing to keep in mind as there are a lot of overloaded bikes out there, and people wondering why they don't get the mileage that others are getting. Also along the same lines, if you are loaded anywhere near the max ratings, make sure you keep a very close eye on your tire air pressures.

Once you have an idea of a couple of tires, call the manufacturer and see what they offer in the way of a heavier duty setup. I know in the past, there were different versions of many tires that were designed for a specific condition for the OE companies (i.e. Buell had pirelli tires that were lighter than the same size tires, Honda wanted more high speed stability from the CBR1000rr tires, Yamaha needed a spec tire for the FJRs, etc).

I know on my Road King, metzeler had "oversize" fitments listed on their website for it, and the "oversize" tires fit perfect, and were tested by Metzeler and approved for use on my bike. The "oversize" tires looked better, but also had a wider footprint so they lasted longer and had good traction, and still handled better than the OE dunlops it came with.

what bike are you riding?

MadMax

Quotewhat bike are you riding?

I am looking to buy either an FJR1300 or a Valkyrie Interstate sometime this spring.  In doing my research on which makes / models would accommodate my needs I was looking at the overall GVWR, Suspension travel, and by way of this thread, tire recommendations for when I get the bike.  I want to make sure I have it set up properly prior to heading down the road with my wife on the back.  As long as it's just me, pretty much anything in the size range I am looking at will do.

Chuck A.

[/quote] I want to make sure I have it set up properly prior to heading down the road with my wife on the back.
[/quote]
Smart man! I am sure she would really appreciate that. Thumbs up.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

bergman32

I finally went to Dark side on my Burgman 650 . I bought a trailer to pull behind my Burgman and decide to go to car tire on rear for towing. So far it has handled good in curves and traction on wet pavement is really good. Speedometer is now within 1mph of GPS reading and ride is smoother. On the Burgman forum other riders that have made the switch or getting 60,000 miles out of rear tire. Don't know if I'll get that but hope to get alot more than the 10,000 miles I was getting.

Chuck A.

Good to hear. Have you tried it 2 up yet? Thinking darkside on my next rear change. Added the trunk a few weeks ago. Defiantly a weight change hanging off the rear end. 
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

bergman32

Yes I've done two upand my friend said it rode smoother. As far as handling I can't tell any difference. It handles as good with car tire asit did with motorcycle tire and a third of the cost.

Shepcam

If you are going to do it might as well go big!

2013 Kawasaki Concours

James L

Quote from: Shepcam on November 02, 2016, 02:35:08 PM
If you are going to do it might as well go big!

You will change that tire before it goes bad. The belts would hit you right in the grape.

James L