Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Africa Twin mods n stuff

Started by springer, August 12, 2017, 06:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LawnmowerRG

Man that thing is looking good.
How do you like those tires.
I like the design but they don't make them to fit anything I have.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

springer

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on September 21, 2017, 09:08:48 PM
Man that thing is looking good.
How do you like those tires.
I like the design but they don't make them to fit anything I have.
Like them so far. I dropped the air to 20# PSI front and rear to give a little help in traction. As soon as I can find a bead-lock to fit the odd sized rear rim, I will drill the rim to fit it. I would like to drop the rear to around 10# PSI for better traction.

What I would REALLY like would be a Tubeless system to fit the rear rim. They make one to fit the front rim and I plan to install it this winter sometime.
The Tubeless system holds the tire with a smaller high pressure inner tube that grips the tire 360 degrees and separates the tire into 2 sections. A high pressure (100 psi) section then an outer section (with out an inner tube) that to can take down to 10 pis or less.

The advantages I see are;
1. The high pressure tube holds the tire in place AND seals off the spokes so there is no leaks from the outer portion of the tire.
2. The outer portion of the tire can be easily plugged just like a tubeless automobile tire.

I have ridden a couple of dirtbikes/dualsports with this system...AMAZING grip in the slippery stuff.  :respect-048:
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

LawnmowerRG

I have messed with both systems. Never run anything but a rim lock.
I would be a little hesitant to run either on a street bike. They both can make a wheel very hard to balance. Though the thought of having either on my GS at times sounds very tempting.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

springer

Back tire on.  :respect-048: Took it for a spin and everything feels good. Tried out the new pegs while I was at it. VERY comfortable to stand up on. Liking the pivot feature. Makes shifting the bike and using the rear brake a little easier.  :respect-048:
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

springer

Okay over the past...well week I have been adding some stuff to the Africa Twin. First thing I did was to install a set of Honda heated grips. Went with the Honda grips because;
1. They have fixed the issue of the grips not getting hot enough.
2. The factory wiring harness and dash is set-up for them.
3. Never had heated grips before so... :D

Let me first just say that if you buy a NEW Africa Twin, have the dealer install them as part of the purchases. You will have to take the front faring apart to do the install. So save yourself that grief.  :D Oh, and buy a Honda dealer Service Manual you decide not to let the dealer install the grips...or anything else.

What the Twin looks like after stripping the outer fairing off;

So after much frustration, cussing, and questioning my sanity, I got them on.

Dash with the heated grips off;

Dash showing heated grips on and the heat level. (5)

After that I started on the High Fender kit that I won! Yep, won it from Rocky Mountain M.C.!  ;D

One of the things you have to do first is install the new brake line that is included in the kit. This is the brake line that crosses over from the left brake caliper to the right one. This is longer than stock because it goes up and over the new high fender.
Okay, did that, now you install the little brace thingy that installs on the bottom triple clamp.
Okay done! Now install the fender...and my first problem appeared. You see I had already installed an AltRider headlight guard.

Well after installing the fender, I took it for a ride and found the forks didn't want to turn. WTF? I found the new high fender was being held up by the Headlight guard...CRAP! What to do now? Well I made some 25mm spacers to go between the fender and the new little brace thing the fender mounts to;

Perfect!

No problems now, so I FINALLY took it for a ride!

Other than dropping and picking up my bike the usual 10 times, everything went perfect.  ;)

Someone needs to make a No dropping your bike kit...I would gladly BUY one of those.  :D   

Fencejumper09

I think that kit can be earned at a dirt gymkhana event! That AT is looking sweet!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

springer

One thing I did notice about that high fender. It does block alot of the wind that use to come up through the fairing and forks. ;)

springer

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on December 11, 2017, 01:27:39 PM
I think that kit can be earned at a dirt gymkhana event! That AT is looking sweet!!
Yep, gotta be earned and not bought!

springer

Okay I have done a bit more to the Twin. The Africa Twin comes with a little tool box thingy on the left side. There is a couple of problems with this;
1. Honda puts NO tools in this little box thingy.
2. You NEED a tool to get TO the tool box. (Allen wrench)
3. You have to remove the tool-less tool box to get to the battery.
Well considering all this /\ plus the fact I like having a battery tender hook-up (An added plus, it can also be used to run heated gear) I decided to turn my useless tool-box into something that will serve a purpose.  ;)
So, off came the tool-box, then a 1 inch hole was drilled, (25mm for you metric fellas) and this plug was mounted;

It has a little cover thingy that hopefully keep most of the water out the next time I drop it in water.  :D

Next a hole was drilled/hacked into the plastic cover over the battery compartment.

After connecting the flush mount plug to the battery tender plug I then replaced the little 3 amp fuse in the Battery tender plug with a 25 amp fuse. So now I can use the same flush mount plug to keep the battery charged AND run my heated gear. (Confused? I know I am and I just wrote that f#cked up sentence.  :-X )
I then used some rubber grommet thingys to help seal the holes I hacked to get the battery tender plug through. 

Here is the finished product;

Next up fairing protection...

springer

Okay, here we go.  ;)
First up, making the little tail thingy into something a bit more useful. Install a rear rack plate from Tusk;

Install was easy peasy, cheesy weasy. It comes with 4 spacers, 4 bolts, and 4 nuts. Installs over the factory rear thingy that you can not strap anything to. 15 minute install.

Next up, AltRider upper crash bars and the side bars that connect the upper and lower crash bars.

Side view;

Front view;

Other side view;

You might not notice but the bars are pretty well made and mounted. They attach to the frame of the bike in two places plus with the addition of the middle bar, they are mounted to the lower crash bar too. The lower crash bar is 1 1/4 inch, the middle and upper bars 1 inch. I don't think they will bend anywhere...even with me riding/crashing it.  :D

Okay next on the list, a set of mirrors that will hopefully hold up better than the stock ones. (The right stock one cracked do to the bike taking yet another dirt nap  ;) )

Doubletake;

And last but not lestest, a tailbag. Wolfmman makes some good stuff they do;

Now let me ask a question of y'all. I have decided to add these 2 wrenches to my tool bag. Made by Channel-lock, they open up to 1 1/2 inches. I am thinking they will just about cover my needs for a wrench out in the woods;

What do y'all think?

springer

BTW, those are 6 inch adjustable...they open up as far as the 12 inch adjustable's i have.

kylepeterson

Who cares about the wrenches

DAT
Bike
Hawt
just give 'er the berries !

springer

Fencejumper09

Change Thread to Africa Twin Farklefest!! That thing is taking shape nicely!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

springer

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on January 19, 2018, 08:02:35 AM
Change Thread to Africa Twin Farklefest!! That thing is taking shape nicely!!
Yea, I have been known to Farkleout a bike or two in my time.  :D