Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Dark side

Started by Vurrich, August 19, 2017, 04:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vurrich

I went on the dark side a while back.

mojo1

What is your tire size ? What kind of Wheel did you put it on ?
GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Chuck A.

Don't know what bike it is on but a lot of folks on the Vulcan Baggers forum love the Nexem. Thought of darksiding my 1500 Nomad but just couldn't talk myself into it cause I like MC tires in a corner.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

springer

Quote from: Vurrich on August 21, 2017, 02:19:35 PM
I have Yamaha 650 custom
15" rear, 190/65-15

The Nexen rides good even in curves I choose a trie that was farily rounded on edge.
Buts its hell to get on the rim and then it never seated properly.
I think it was maybe defective

I wish I had measured the inside before installing.

How long do we have to do 3 verifcations when we post?
Never put a car tire on myself but I know others who have.
From what they told me;
They are a bitch to put on.
They are a unholy bitch to take off.
So I do not think you got a defective tire nor do I think there is anything wrong with the rim.
It is just that way. A huge pain in the rear way.  ;)

And one more thing........good luck finding a shop to do it.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

polarissalesman

put a car tire on cple years ago because I had a blowout and that is all I could do......it is HELL to get on and to seat.... took 110lb psi to get it to....plus a lot of cursing... we worked for over 2 hrs trying to get it to seal......
"keep the rubber side down"

Vurrich

The reason for darkside install propblems  (according to tire manufacturers.)
A motocycle RIM has a ridge that car rims don't have.
The ridge helps to hold a Tire on the Rim edge in the event of a flat and also it helps stabilize the tire in a turn.
Car tires never camber at less than 10 Degrees and motocycles do camber(Slant) hard in turns.

the ridge is about 3/8" high about a half to an inch from the rim edge. The tire must go over the ridge and fit in the slot.
Therefore a Motocycle 15" tire is less inside diameter than a car tire since a car rim has no ridge.

the Ridge make the difference
I read that one mechanic had been placing rims on his lathe and shaving that ridge down with no problems.
I would NOT recommend the shaving

The tire manufacturer listed the difference in tire size and the 15" tire has the most difference between the CT and MT of the same size which makes it biggest pain to install..
17 " CT usually slide right on and most 16" CT are not much of a problem.

unfortunately my bike has 15 rims.

After installing a MT make bike feels much less stable in turns. I will adjust for now.
Looking for a way to stretch my CT for the next install.