| View Unread
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Talladega County  (Read 567 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 708
Talladega County
« on: August 30, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »
1.   Benjamin H Averiett House – State Route 8   Sylacauga
2.   William Averiett House – Off State Route 8   Sylacauga
3.   Boxwood – 406 E North St.  E  Talladega
4.   Charles Butler House – Junction of 1st St. and 10th Ave   Childersburg
5.   B.B. Corner Memorial Library – 711 N Broadway Ave.  Sylacauga (Now Isabel Anderson Corner Museum & Arts Center)
6.   J.L.M. Curry House – 3 mi NE of Talladega on AL 21 
7.   Elston House – 10 mi N of Talladega on Turner’s Mill Rd.
8.   First Presbyterian Church – 130 North St. E   Talladega
9.   Goodwin-Hamilton House – Marble Valley Rd.  Sylacauga
10.   Hightower Brothers Livery Stable – 413 North Ave  Sylacauga
11.   Idlewild – AL 5, 0.1 mi N of AL 21   Talladega
12.   Jemison House Complex – S of junction of Chocolocco and Cheaha Creeks   Eastaboga
13.   Kymulga Mill and Covered Bridge – 4.5 mi NE of Childersburg on AL 56
14.   Lawler-Whiting House – AL 21 S of Talladega
15. Silk Stocking District - Roughly bounded by Coffee, 2nd, McMillan, and Court Sts  Talladega
16.   Dudley Snow House – Peek Dr.   Oxford   (moved from Calhoun County in the 1990s)
17.   Swayne Hall – Talladega College campus – Talladega
18.   Sylacauga Historic Commercial District - Broadway Ave., W. 1st., Anniston Ave., and W. 4th St.
19.   Talladega College Historic District – Junction of Battle St. and Martin Luther King Dr.
20.   Talladega Courthouse Square Historic District - Courthouse Sq.; also roughly bounded by N. East, E. North, and S. East, and Coffee and Spring Sts
21.   Thornhill – 29229 AL 21   Talladega
22.   William Watters House – County Highway 8   Sylacauga
23.   Welch-Averiett House – State Route 8   Sylacauga
24.   Winterboro Stagecoach Inn – 22901 State Route 21   Winterboro
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:22:15 PM by Guidedawg »

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 708
Re: Talladega County
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 07:18:59 AM »
3. Boxwood – 406 E North St. E Talladega
This lovely house is a splendid example of Carpenter Gothic. The house was built in 1854 by the Cruickshank family. The Cruickshank family were leading Presbyterians in Talladega. They brought men and an architect from Pennsylvania to design and build the Governor Parson' Mansion (in Talladega), the First Presbyterian Church, and this home.

Joseph A. Woodward, a former Congressman from South Carolina, came to Talladega for a short stay but the start of the Civil War made him decide to remain in Talladega. He purchased the Cruickshank home in 1870 and it remained in the family for over 100 years.

The home is now known as Boxwood because of the boxwood trees in the front yard. Boxwood is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.




(You can find much better images on the Internet)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:37:26 AM by Guidedawg »

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 708
Re: Talladega County
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 07:21:55 AM »
5.   B.B. Corner Memorial Library – 711 N Broadway Ave.  Sylacauga

The B.B. Comer Memorial Library is a library located in Sylacauga, Alabama. The library was named to the National Register of Historic Places on September 6, 2005.

The library was founded in 1936 as the Sylacauga Public Library. It was moved three years later, and after a $5,000 grant by the family B. B. Comer, the library was renamed in his honor. The library was again renamed to Isabel Anderson Comer Museum and Arts Center in 1962.[1] It was created with a marble exterior, and was originally built through the Works Progress Administration.



Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 708
Re: Talladega County
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 07:24:02 AM »
8.   First Presbyterian Church – 130 North St. E   Talladega

First Presbyterian Church is a historic church at 130 North Street East in Talladega, Alabama. It was built in 1860 and was added to the National Register in 1983.


Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 708
Re: Talladega County
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 07:34:49 AM »
10.   Hightower Brothers Livery Stable – 413 North Ave  Sylacauga

The Hightower Brothers Livery Stable lies in the heart of downtown Sylacauga on Norton Avenue. Being the first historic marker in the Sylacauga city limits of the SylacaugaNews.com Historic Marker series, this historic location is now owned by Blue Bell Creameries.

The Hightower Brothers Livery Stable served Sylacauga from its opening in 1896 to its closing in 1995. The stable housed various transportation and agricultural resources. Mules and horses with buggies provided transportation for Sylacauga residents, and equipment for farming could be purchased. The Hightower Brother Livery Stable also provided mules to Fort McClellan in Anniston, Alabama, during World War I.


The marker officially reads:

Founded in 1896 by brothers John Judge and Milton Graham Hightower, this small-town livery stable served the community and surrounding countryside until its closing in 1955. Originally located nearby, the business moved to this “New Town” site in 1905. A brick building was erected in 1914 after the original wood-frame structure was destroyed by fire.

The Hightower Brothers furnished area farmers with agricultural resources, local businesses with vehicles, and the people of Sylacauga with recreational transportation. In addition to providing mules, horses, wagons, buggies, and farm implements locally, the stable was a major supplier of mules to Camp McClellan in Anniston during World War I.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997, the building was donated by the John Milton Hightower family to Blue Bell Creameries in 2000.


The building was officially named a historic site in 1997.


« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:35:50 AM by Guidedawg »

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 708
Re: Talladega County
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 07:41:57 AM »
17. Swayne Hall – Talladega College campus – Talladega

Swayne Hall is the oldest building on the campus of Talladega College in Talladega, Talladega County, Alabama, United States. It was built in 1857 by slaves for use by a Baptist men's college. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1974 for Talladega College's role as one of the few historically black colleges and universities to maintain a liberal arts focus.[ It was the only liberal arts college open to black Americans in Alabama for many years.

Swayne Hall occupies a central position on the campus of Talladega College, set north of West Brattle Street and east of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. It is a three-story masonry structure, built out of brick and covered by a gabled roof. Its main facade is dominated by a full-height projecting portico, with four fluted Doric columns supporting an entablature and pedimented gable. There are cast-iron balconies on the second and third floors.

The building was constructed in 1857 for a Baptist men's college, in part by the use of slave labor provided by the subscribers who underwrote its construction. It was acquired by the American Missionary Association in 1867 when it founded Talladega College. The building is named for General Wager Swayne, a Union Army general during the American Civil War who also served as the appointed military Governor of Alabama during the early days of Reconstruction, serving from 1867 to 1868.

Talladega College is one of a small number of historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) that resisted trends of the late 19th and early 20th century to focus the education of African Americans on vocations, and maintained a focus on the liberal arts. For many years it was the only school in Alabama at which African Americans could get an undergraduate education, and was one of the most successful HBCUs at sending its students on to graduate-level programs





Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 708
Re: Talladega County
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 07:47:30 AM »
19.   Talladega College Historic District – Junction of Battle St. and Martin Luther King Dr.

Talladega College is a private historically black college in Talladega, Alabama. It is Alabama's oldest private historically black college. It is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools

The history of Talladega College began on November 20, 1865, when three former slaves William Savery, Thomas Tarrant, and Ambrose Headen of Talladega, met in convention with a group of new freedmen in Mobile, Alabama.[3] From this meeting came the commitment, "We regard the education of our children and youth as vital to the preservation of our liberties, and true religion as the foundation of all real virtue, and shall use our utmost endeavors to promote these blessings in our common country."

With this as their pledge, Savery, Tarrant, and Headen aided by General Wager Swayne of the Freedmen's Bureau, began in earnest to provide a school for the children of former slaves of the community. Their leadership resulted in the construction of a one-room school house using lumber salvaged from an abandoned carpenter's shop. The school overflowed with pupils from its opening and soon it was necessary to move into larger quarters.

Meanwhile, the nearby Coosa River Valley Baptist Academy was about to be sold under mortgage default. This building had been built in 1852-53 with the help of slaves, including Savery, Tarrant, and Headen. A speedy plea was sent to General Swayne for its purchase. General Swayne in turn persuaded the American Missionary Association to buy the building and some 20 acres (81,000 m2) of land for $23,000.

The grateful parents renamed the building Swayne School and it opened in November 1867 with about 140 pupils. A building constructed before the war with slave labor for white students became the home of the state's first college dedicated to serving the educational needs of blacks. In 1869, Swayne School was issued a charter as Talladega College by the Judge of Probate of Talladega County.

The former Baptist Academy building, now known as Swayne Hall, has remained in service as the symbol and spirit of the beginning of the college.

Talladega College is located in the city of Talladega. The campus consists of 50 acres (200,000 m2) with 17 primary buildings. 32 campus buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Talladega College Historic District. The Savery Library, completed in 1939, was built to replace a 1907 structure built with a donation from Andrew Carnegie. The library houses hundreds of thousands of serials, a Record Room, a fully equipped computer laboratory, a unique Archives Room, and the historic Amistad murals painted by Hale Woodruff. Embedded in the floor of the library is a mural of La Amistad - which school tradition says must never be stepped upon - referring to the mutiny by slaves, who took control of that ship and later won their freedom in a United States court, is depicted upon the surrounding walls. The mezzanine floor of the library houses the Galangue Room. This room contains an extensive collection of Angolan and Nigerian artifacts.





Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 708
Re: Talladega County
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 07:53:10 AM »
20. Talladega Courthouse Square Historic District - Courthouse Sq.; also roughly bounded by N. East, E. North, and S. East, and Coffee and Spring Sts

Marker Text: The City of Talladega was incorporated in 1833. Not long after the founding of Talladega, the Square became the town center. The Talladega Courthouse was built in 1836 and is the oldest Courthouse in continuous use in Alabama. The courthouse survived a tornado on May 11, 1912 that destroyed the clock tower and a fire on March 25, 1925 that severely damaged the structure. Following the fire, Chattanooga architect R. H. Hunt was hired to redesign the building. When it was rebuilt, the east and west entrances were enclosed and a Seth Thomas Clock was installed in the clock tower. Other buildings within the historic Talladega Courthouse Square include the Henderson Drug Store (1947), the Isbell Bank (1869), the first City Hall (1892), the Kenwin Building (1900), the Federal Post Office (1912), and the Ritz Theater (1936). Talladega Courthouse Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.








Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 708
Re: Talladega County
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 02:21:34 PM »
15. Silk Stocking District - Roughly bounded by Coffee, 2nd, McMillan, and Court Sts  Talladega

The Silk Stocking District is a historic district in the city of Talladega, Alabama, USA. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 13, 1979. Architectural styles include Queen Anne, Classical Revival, Colonial Revival, American Craftsman, and other late Victorian types. The district covers 113 acres (46 ha) and contained 120 contributing properties when first listed.

You can see photos of all the listings for this area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Stocking_District_(Talladega)

Rather than stop several times for photos, I went down 2 of the streets with a helmet cam to give a general idea

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:22:37 PM by Guidedawg »