News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Dented gas tank

Started by Gam, August 30, 2017, 04:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gam

How skilled of job is this? I found a couple of places online for tank dent repair, I'd rather ride a little to take it somewhere as opposed to boxing shipping and all that, I hate fooling with boxing stuff up and mailing it.

kylepeterson

I don't know anyone for that, but I sure do dig that bike!

springer

If there is a good local body shop in your area I say take it to them and see if they could do it.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Chuck & Susan

It looks like you could go in thru the filler neck with a prybar and push that back out. Or a suction cup from the outside and pull it out. It dont really look creased. Good luck
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

bblass

I've never done it, but I've read that filling the tank about 85% full with water and then putting it in the freezer for a day will generally pop dents like that out.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

yamahamer

Quote from: bblass on August 31, 2017, 09:20:12 AM
I've never done it, but I've read that filling the tank about 85% full with water and then putting it in the freezer for a day will generally pop dents like that out.

Just be sure the dent is up, on top. But this method is also known to split tanks, so beware.
I've seen dents in headers taken out with pressure washers before? Doesn't look like it need much to pop it back out.

BTW Sweet bike!

kdtrull

Those guys who apply heat+cold+vacuum are all over now days. (See dent doctor).  There's bound to be one nearby....it works....lots of different names...all do the same thing.

Vurrich

As mentioned try some body or paint shops locally.

What year is that?
Looks similar to the DT125 the first street/trial bike ever make
Yama mama copied that look for years

rider_marc

- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM