2018...........From a Customer's Perspective.

Started by klaviator, October 13, 2017, 02:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

2018 is just around the corner.  From my perspective it looks like it will be a great year in the moto world.  I'd like to know what has you excited about 2018 and where you think you may be spending your moto dollars. 

-If a new bike, which ones are you considering?
-Maybe you will be buying parts or accessories?
-How about riding gear?
-What about service and tires?
-anything I missed?

klaviator

I'll start this one off.  There's a lot of bikes that have me drooling.  Here's the ones that come to mind first but not in any order:

Yamaha Xmax
Kymco Like 150i
Kymco Spade
Piaggio Liberty 150
BMW310GS
Kawasaki KLX250

As of right now I have no plans to buy a new bike in 2018............famous last words :cool08:

Parts and accesories.  I plan on riding a lot so I will need routine stuff like oil and filters.

I plan on buying a new jacket and some adventure boots.  I prefer to not buy riding gear online but since no one around here stocks what I want that's what I'll probably do.  Right now I'm considering the Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0 jacket and maybe some Gaerne adventure boots. 

I try to do most of my own servicing and I will be buying some tires :bike-038:

Hopefully I'll spend most of my moto dollars on actually riding :bike-038: :bike-038:

Guidedawg

No plans to purchase a bike, though I really need to replace the light bar.  I recently purchased rain gear, but since I developed a hole in my gloves today, I suppose that's my next purchase. (But I'll take care of that one in 2017) :)

VWCarlos

No plans on buying any new bikes... but you never know what the future holds. I do plan on replacing my tires at some point this year. I would also like to by some actual motorcycle rain gear and stop wearing my backpacking rain gear. One thing I really want to do is ride more. This past year has been a really hectic one and I am hoping 2018 (and what's left of 2017) will give more opurtunity to have some fun.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Hammerdown77

I'm sure I'll probably buy something (bike, and accessories/gear)

Right now I am still interested in getting a naked street bike, something for around town and day rides. Got the big GS for longer distance work.

Sometimes that means the Yamaha XSR900 or the FZ09. Sometimes the BMW R NineT Urban G/S, or even a late model camhead R1200R.

The re-release of the KLX250 has also piqued my interest.

Biggest issue for me is my size/height. Most of the cool smaller displacement street nakeds are just too small for me to ride comfortably. I've sat on the three mentioned above, and they are certainly workable. The XSR would likely need a different seat to allow me to sit further back a bit, but the FZ09 may work as is, because it has a flat, almost bench type seat. Same for the Urban G/S.

Really need to sell my DL1000 V-Strom first...
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

norton73

I need a replacement small bike for the XT350, the KLX250 looks promising. Not sure if new or used however.

I'm sure Rodney is gonna be selling me a bunch of tires next year, between the wife and I we blow through several sets a year.

If I was in the market for a bigger new bike, I'd be eyeballing the R9T G/S or the Ducati Desert Sled, both look like what I'd want for the kind of riding I mostly do.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

catang5oh

This has my interest, 250 Rally. I like how it feels, suspension not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aliensandexiles@gmail.com

I am really hoping that the Yamaha T7 will be out. I probably won't get it until early 2019 but I am looking forward to it nonetheless.
As far as gear goes, I'll just continue to collect ADV gear for when The Day finally comes.

Fencejumper09

It may never happen but the KTM 790 would be awesome!   :respect-058:

Planning on getting some new Off-Road boots maybe some Gaerne SG-10

As far as parts go, I am still going through the YZ250 so I am sure I will need some items for it as I plan to go through the suspension!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Johnny Tobyone

Just bought some new gear. Had to replace my old Shoei RF1000 (10 plus years date was worn off)   Got a Scorpion EXO-R710 good bang for the buck but still wanted another Shoei so got a decent deal on a new RF1200 all good except the new visor has a rim around it to make it stronger and if you ride with it partly open the rim makes a distortion that's a little annoying (dark smoke shield). Also got new pair boots Forma ADV-touring  pretty nice light weight ADV/Street boot...now just need a dual sport  I usually buy used and have passed up couple bikes not sure what I really want ..all a compromise.  May list my Bandit for sale as I have been eyeing a  BMW R1200R ...  have owned 3 BMW's in the past  soo??
R1200R
CRF450L

Al Goodwin

I may be selling the KDX220 and buying a somewhat more modern 2-stroker with electric start, maybe.

Other than that...just riding and racing. :respect-048:

SpeedyR

Quote from: klaviator on October 13, 2017, 02:03:01 PM

-If a new bike, which ones are you considering? nothing unless KTM/Husky comes out with a FI 150XCW
-Maybe you will be buying parts or accessories? does the sun come up most days?
-How about riding gear? of course. new track suit (one piece, my old one doesn't quite fit), mesh jacket, new gloves, maybe some more boots, and I'm sure other stuff. What can I say, I'm a gear whore.
-What about service and tires? do my own service, tires are a monthly expense like the internet. both bikes shred rear tires in short order.
-anything I missed? sounds like a good list...

renchinrider

Thankfully, my Road King continues to run great.  Since I already bought a new set of tires for it, I guess that disqualifies them from a 2018 purchase.  Aside from continued oil changes, brake pads, etc, I plan to just keep riding the Road King exactly as it is.

The old '74 FXE, on the other hand, is long overdue for a LOT of maintenance.  I bought a remote oil filter kit for it, but probably won't have time to install until 2018.  I also have to replace the speedometer actuator on the front wheel, and plan to disassemble, clean and re-pack the front wheel bearings while I have it apart.  If the opportunity is even better than any I've had in the past couple of years, I'll go all-out and completely disassemble the front end, clean and re-pack the triple tree, and rebuild the front forks.

I also need to remove the back wheel and service the bearings, then check rim/sprocket alignment when I put it back together, in hopes of extending my time between chain tension adjustments.

But before I can call the bike "reliable" again, I have to sort out the electrical system and fix a few glitches.  My current (no pun intended! :lol-049:) problem is that my brake light has stopped working, but it's just one of a litany of electrical problems I've had.  The main reason for the problems is that the previous owner replaced the original tank and handlebar-mounted instruments with a larger tank which includes a dash with speedo and warning lights.  This mod required a lot of wire splicing.  And, I've learned over the years that most aftermarket parts (for Harleys, at least) are designed for the garage queen that comes out once or twice a year for a poker run or bike show, and then sits in dry climate control for the rest of the year.  The parts are frequently of inferior quality, and are not durable. :thumb-down-012:  This seems especially true of electrical parts.  For those of us who like to ride our bikes a lot, the issue becomes frequent shorts, broken wires, corroded connectors, etc.  I've been sorting these kinds of issues as long as I've had the bike.  Eventually, I'll either fabricate a custom wiring harness for it, or I'll finally isolate and replace every defective wire, light socket or connector within the existing one.  I suspect this ongoing epic will occupy several parts of my 2018. :violin-011:

Aside from that, I join many of you in hoping that I get to RIDE a LOT more than I have the past two years (that I've been consumed resurrecting our old farmhouse), and get to see and meet more of you on the road, at flash mobs, gymkhanas, or at Johnny Robinson's Firehouse BBQ! :respect-048:
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

DachshundUberAlles

I made my new bike purchases in 2017. Bought my GROM in February and picked up a Super Tenere on October 6.
Got a Givi trunk for it. The only other accessory I can see that it needs (now that I've put 1,100 miles on it) is a bit more comfortable seat.
GROM has been fully chassis accessorized, so the only question is do I want to go big bore on the motor.
Riding gear is covered, so only accident damage will change that.
I'm sure the Yamaha will need tires and I'll mull over which of the sport/tour tires I want to try first. Perhaps Michelin PR4s. Oil changes at the Yamaha recommended 4K will be OEM filter.
GROM will most likely need another set of Michelin Power Pure, as well as 1,500 mile oil/filter changes.
The GSXR750 will go through at least 2 sets of Bridgestone S21, probably EBC HH pad set(s) for front, Hiflo filtro oil filters, safety wire, and at least 10 five gallon pails of VP fuel and 10 Sportbike Track Time event purchases.
I'll get a couple of cases of oil, Maxima SynBlend 10W/40 for all three.
Still mulling over purchasing an EZ up type canopy for the pit, as well as a small generator and fan, but these aren't at the highest priority right now.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

renchinrider

Dachsund, those are some great equipment ideas! :idea-013:  I should consider a few items like that myself this coming year!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!