goldwing 1800 versus Pacific Coast 800

Started by skypuppy, November 15, 2017, 02:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypuppy

Y'all can believe this post or not.

I rode with the Redstone Riders Motorcycle Club (RRMC) for many years before they scattered to the winds.  A guy who had a GoldWing 1800 and I both loved to do the twisties with mucho gusto.  Almost none of the other crew liked to be as big an idiot as that friend and me.  Anyway, on a 3 day weekend trip, something happened and he totalled his Wing.  He got a Pacific Coast 800 to replace it and rode with the RRMC for several more months.  I noticed that he still liked to hit the twisties just as hard as I (when his SO wasn't on the back.)  So I asked him to meet me one day at a particularly challenging and mostly uninhabited "circle track" in Huntsville.  We show up and, being competitive like we are, we hit that "track" just as hard as we could.  After several laps, he didn't leave me and I didn't leave him!  So I asked to swap bikes!  Yeah, that's more intrusive than swapping wives but we had to do it.  So I get on his PC800 and off we go.  Again, I didn't leave him and he didn't leave me.  As it turned out, whoever was in the lead could gain a few inches on the other but that's all, whether it was him or me!  I was flabbergasted: the PC800 has nowhere near the 100+ horsepower that the GoldWing 1800 does but there you have it.  He and I, in the twisties, have closely equivalent skills and with the VAST difference between the PC800 and the Wing 1800, one would think the Wing would leave the PC800 in the dust.  I'm here to tall you folks, it just ain't so.  Surprised both of us to no end.  So if you see what looks like a fat scooter with Pacific Coast markings, do NOT turn your nose up at it.  Further, both he and I have left some sport bikes behind in the twisties.  No, not many, but some.  A sport bike can stomp a Wing any day in the straight or twisties but some riders don't have their full experience and confidence to ride even close to their bike's abilities and that's a VERY safe thing.  If they're not ready, that's cool.  Just FYI.

klaviator

I would not be surprised to see a PC800 leave a sport bike in the dust.  Most of us know it's much more the rider than the bike.  I knew someone who was a really fast sportbike rider who went from a liter class sport bike to a PC800.  He was slower on the PC but still fast.  A few years ago I led a ride in the NC mountains.  It was on some of the twistiest roads on the country.  This was the group:

So how would you rank these bikes for speed?

In case you don't recognize all the bikes, from left to right:  Aprilia Sport City 250, Versys 650, GW1800 with car tire on rear, Sym HD200, WR250.

kdtrull

springer

For all the Goldwingers out there...

:cool08:
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

Sounds like you expect us to have some preconceptions about different kinds of bikes, but most of us do not.  I'll ride with anybody who shows up.  I'll wave at anybody on a bike or trike, whether they wave at me or not.

Do your own thing, and do it well.

Cura nihil ni si ut valeas.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

polarissalesman

speed? define speed? 0-60 or top end? or speed in corners. Speed for me might be 80mph speed to a sports bike guy might be 160mph
"keep the rubber side down"

LawnmowerRG

Hey Skypuppy
There are a host of under appreciated bikes out there. Especially in the Midsize displacement range. I think the PC is one. As well as the Honda STs. Truth is though the riser makes all the difference. Put an incompetent ride on the latest 230hp sport bike And a moderate rider on that wing can run them down.

Klaviator
I would be quickest on the Versys with some preload cranked in for my wieght. Thought I suspect that in the really tight stuff both scoots would be giving me hell. Actually, I know you would on the Aprilia.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.