News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

DIY Slide Plates

Started by Fencejumper09, December 15, 2017, 08:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

Very nice.  I love watching you folks make stuff for your bikes.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Fencejumper09

I mostly do it to save money but I ended up spending what a SX Slide plate would have costed had I just bought one. But they don't make them for my year YZ and I have enough material to help a couple buddies make one for their clapped out dirty bikes! I also ended up with a custom fit and shape to protect bit I felt needed it!

It really was a fun little quick project. I will probably do another iteration with some slightly modified coverage but I am happy for now!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Mulley

That turned out really nice. I've never been one for making my own parts. It looks like all of your wood working tools came in handy for this. I have none of those tools.

Is there a way to heat the material and press a recessed area for the bolts instead of cutting away some of the material? It seems like that leaves a weak point where the material is thinner.

How hot are you getting it so that it will bend easily?
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

RubyRider

You did a Very Nice Job on Fab'n up that Skid Plate!

Apparently You are Afflicted With some Serious Craftsmanship!
If you aint smokin, you are eatin dust!

Fencejumper09

I bet we could heat up some washers and press them in. That honestly never crossed my mind but sound like a good use of some of the spare pieces laying around!

Thank you Rubyrider!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Chitza

How did you heat it? I'm assuming a heat gun maybe? I use a thermo plastic at work, but nothing this stout. I have to heat the entire sheet to get it evenly heated to cut and work with it. It has a pretty low heat point for workability, 140 degrees. I use a large heat pan(like an industrial electric skillet) that I fill with water. Using the heat gun doesn't give me enough working even heat and I end up with a wad of bubblegum that looks like it's been left on the dash of my car in August.

I have a sheet of aeronautics grade lexan that I want to play with for a windscreen. I'm planning to try heating it in my oven to get an even heat for molding.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Fencejumper09

I used my Harbor Freight heat gun and a propane torch. I used them in conjunction on both sides of the bend, switching every so often.

The oven would work well if you can build a mold! The oven was off limits for me! My wife is already not too happy with the dirtbike! I think a piece of plastic in the oven would push her over the edge. I would come home to a bonfire of motorcycles one day!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Chitza

Just sayin' 8)

Beer fridge and pizza/parts oven in the garage!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

kylepeterson

just give 'er the berries !

Mulley

Quote from: Chitza on January 11, 2018, 08:31:53 AM

Just sayin' 8)

Beer fridge and pizza/parts oven in the garage!

I actually have an oven and fridge next to my garage. The downstairs area was built as a mother-in-law suite. I just have to share it with my 8 year old daughter. Luckily she doesn't drink much beer yet.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Fencejumper09

I wish I had room for that!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

kylepeterson

I've had mine on for a few rides now. Very happy with how slippery this plastic is. It's survived at least one Axe shaped rock and several case-outs on trees/rocks. Much easier to slide over than aluminum !

Two hose clamps up front and a section notched 45° at the back (like the ktm plates slide into place) into the frame.

Thanks David !
just give 'er the berries !

Fencejumper09

Finally installed my front mounts on my. I just bent some aluminum bar for now around the frame.

The next iteration will have a more refined and easier to mount system!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT