News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Engine oil 10w-40?...30? Synthetic? Dino? Baby Seal oil?

Started by springer, January 18, 2018, 04:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck A.

"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

DachshundUberAlles

I have used the following response on any oil thread I have ever encountered on any motorcycle forum:

During to 20+ years I working in motorcycle shops, I have never seen  an engine failure that could be directly and singularly attributed to the use of (or lack of using) any one particular brand of oil. Any major player brand is perfect for the job, just change it, along with the filter, on a regular basis.

Several years back I made the decision to just pick a brand and marry it, using them exclusively for all the lubrication/fluid requirements in all my bikes. I went with Maxima. I use their SynBlend 10w/40 in my 2017 GROM, 2017 Super Tenere, and my 2005 GSXR750 track only bike.
I could have just as confidently picked Bel-Ray, Spectro, Lucas, AMSOIL, Motul, etc. and had the same trouble free experiences. I know enough to understand that I made the perfect choice for me and that someone who chose to marry another brand made an equally good choice.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

IceCold4x4

I think as long as you aren't pushing the limits of an engine Kyle's approach will work just fine. Now if you are approaching the limits of what a particular engine can do for example and over bored high compression high lift cam with lots of headwork and pushing the upper rpm limit of crank and rods or are running a turbo setup the  yes a specific oil may become very important to keep up film strength Yada Yada Yada.

I run the expensive motul 300v in the zrx as I've built that motor pretty far and run it pretty hard, and I will say however I can notice a difference in cheaper oil like Rotella and the expensive motul mainly in shift quality, after 1500 miles the Rotella starts giving me false neutrals and generally feels like crap in the transmission however with motul at 3k I hardly notice a difference when I change the oil. The kdx gets Lucas semi synthetic atf because I got a case of it cheap. And the duc will probably get motul just as it's what I have laying around.

All that being said changing it regularly and before it's worn slap out is likely the most important thing on a non race bike.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk