News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Tire defects

Started by IceCold4x4, February 08, 2018, 09:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceCold4x4

So the other day I rode the duc and had a small issue with the rear tire. Ok small isn't a good description more like a pants soiling OMG moment. I was riding down 20 doing 80 to 90 on the duc speedo when I started feeling a slight vibration, non long after maybe 30 seconds I passed an 18 wheeler and felt the bike get a bit wobbly like the wing was picking up and I was getting buffeted, not horrible but more than I felt was normal, about a mile or so down the road I passed another one this time it was much much worse so I decided to get off at the next exit as I dropped below 70 the bike started to wag the tail, at 40ish I felt the bead let go and it became a serious handful, probably and honest 20 to 30 degree side to side tank slapper feeling. Managed to get it stopped without the rear passing me and these pictures are what I found.

Looks like it just blew a chunk out. I had checked the pressure that morning at 10:30 before heading to work an the rear was holding 34 psi, I left work at 2 with the bike feeling normal, made it from Avondale to just after the second Leeds exit before something felt wrong. I called chaparral who I bought the tires from at the end of November 2017 and had them mounted beginning of December th e date code was 20th week of 17 so they aren't old and old have 300ish miles on them. They threw up just enough of a barrier to trying to warranty them thst I just ordered a new tire in the mean time. Yesterday I sent Michelin an email just to see what they'd say. So when you have new tires and check the pressure ya never know what may happen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

IceCold4x4

Got this back from Michelin. Anyone recommend where to take it to forward this along as I did not purchase it local?

springer

Take it to any motorcycle dealer that sells Michelin motorcycle tires with a copy of the reply from Michelin.
If they give you any hassel and/or just refuse to help write down the name of the persons involved then go to another dealer. Replete if you have to until you find a dealer that will do what Michelin wants you to do.
Send all the information back to Michelin.

You can do a YouTube video explaining what happened, what Michelin said to, and what you did. Be calm and factual during the video. At the end of the video say you will make another video when Michelin gets back to you.

Include the link of that video to Michelin. (Put a little pressure on them)

If they help you by replacing the tire, send you a coupon for another tire or 1/2 price what ever, do another video telling what they did plus any praise or negative.  Then send Michelin another note with that link.

Yea, alot of work but it could help you get some satisfaction.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Fencejumper09

That sucks and i am glad you are ok!

Maybe get a number for a nail salon while you are at it, at least pick up some anti-fungal!  :D
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

IceCold4x4

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on February 08, 2018, 12:58:22 PM
That sucks and i am glad you are ok!

Maybe get a number for a nail salon while you are at it, at least pick up some anti-fungal!  :D
That's Rodney's thumb....

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Sweeper

You are not the only one. I saw pictures online late last year and the story was very much the same. I'm sorry I can't remember where it was. I've not been running their tires for the last couple of sets.  You might Google it and see what ammo you can find.  Glad you're OK except for the shorts.

norton73

Rodney can't deal with Michelin for you?
Loose nut holding the handlebars

LawnmowerRG

I can, but I am not a Michelin dealer so he actually has more pull than I do as the end purchaser.

I can get Michelin tires through another local shop if you want them. I will sell them to you at an appropriate price. I will give the same deal to mount them and balance them.
The buy in for all the suppliers is a lot of money,  And they all have a minimum yearly purchase amount. We can't meet the yearly purchase for all of them combined at this point.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

DachshundUberAlles

This is the quandary one runs into when they choose to bypass the local dealer and purchase from the internet supplier.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

kylepeterson

Quote from: DachshundUberAlles on February 09, 2018, 06:50:40 PM
This is the quandary one runs into when they choose to bypass the local dealer and purchase from the internet supplier.

Supply chain should have zero influence on replacement and liability  this just proves how stupid and limited our consumer rights are
just give 'er the berries !

DachshundUberAlles

Quote from: kylepeterson on February 10, 2018, 05:50:22 PM
Supply chain should have zero influence on replacement and liability  this just proves how stupid and limited our consumer rights are

The OP CHOSE to buy from the internet supplier. Why is resolution now the responsibility of a local dealership?
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

KevinB

Because if they choose to be a Michelin dealer, then they should also deal with product warranty issues on behalf of Michelin.

In 2005 I had a local Honda dealer refuse to do warranty work on my recently purchased Rancher atv. I called Mother H and they were not amused. Their position was the same...if you choose to carry and sell Honda products, then you also choose to deal with warranty issues with their products regardless of where they were purchased.

IceCold4x4

Quote from: DachshundUberAlles on February 11, 2018, 01:28:16 PM
The OP CHOSE to buy from the internet supplier. Why is resolution now the responsibility of a local dealership?
I'll admit I got a screaming deal on 2 tires right before Xmas. My next pair will be purchased from Rodney.

Nice Goat

Not sure how purchasing a tire online vs in a shop is relevant to the quality of the tire or the manufacturer's obligation to honor warranties expressed or implied.  The manufacturer has a right to make sure that the product was installed correctly and not abused, which is what they are trying to determine now.  I am sure that they get plenty of unfounded claims every year, so they are trying to verify the legitimacy of this particular claim.

The larger question for me is... what methods of installing tires would void the warranty?  Lots of people choose to install tires themselves to save money, using various methods ranging from tire irons and zip ties all the way to using No-Mar tire changers.  Is any of that relevant to the warranty?
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."