News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Painting cruiser cost

Started by Bamagator, March 30, 2018, 07:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bamagator

I am eyeing a neighbors old cruiser to buy.  Great condition, but if I bought I might like to change the fenders and tank paint.  Does anyone have an idea of the labor and material cost to do a basic single color paint job on these items?  Any recommendations on shops south of b ham?

Anyone need to guide me not to do?  Hehehe

springer

Quote from: Bamagator on March 30, 2018, 07:23:22 PM
I am eyeing a neighbors old cruiser to buy.  Great condition, but if I bought I might like to change the fenders and tank paint.  Does anyone have an idea of the labor and material cost to do a basic single color paint job on these items?  Any recommendations on shops south of b ham?

Anyone need to guide me not to do?  Hehehe
Price will depend on several things such as;
1. Skill of the painter.
2. Type of paint to be used. (certain types involve different levels of work like prep/post prep to paint. Some paints need to be layered on, others are more of a 1 shot deal.)
3. Condition of item to be painted.
4. Type of paint job. Example 1 color, 2 color, pinstripes, images, and so on, and so on.

Advice on what not to do? Well if you are not planning on going off-road, don't cheap out. Those "low low prices" are low for a reason usually.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

catang5oh

Also, parts on or off the bike. Off the bike will reduce labor, but will require reassembly.

Like Springer said, you get what you pay for!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slede

i have no idea, I've always done my own painting and I don't add up my cost. I can tell you that it's nowhere near as hard to get done as some people think. and rustoleum looks real good, for the first year or so anyway. good luck and have fun
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

JBMFT

Quote from: Slede on April 02, 2018, 02:09:10 PM
i have no idea, I've always done my own painting and I don't add up my cost. I can tell you that it's nowhere near as hard to get done as some people think. and rustoleum looks real good, for the first year or so anyway. good luck and have fun

What he said. And just FYI, chalkboard paint is still the best flat black money can buy.

Bamagator

Thanks.  The deal fell through unfortunately but I am eying a metric bike bobber build job in the future.  Matte black or the like will be my call I suspect.