Sat Aug 25th : The "I don't know what I'm doing" ride

Started by lastparrot, August 24, 2018, 06:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastparrot

So I just got the 690, tires need to be replaced, suspension may be to stiff, I have limited off road experience and yet for some reason I feel the need to head out and roll the dice.  Yeah, I know this is late notice, but here are the details.

Time : 1:00 in the afternoon Sat Aug 25th

Who is this ride for :  Anyone really, but there will be a premium for the novice off road ride.  If you are wanting to learn with others your own skill level (low) then this is your ride.  If you have the patience of a saint and want to help us lesser knowledgeable riders you are more than welcome(and encouraged) to come.

Expectations :  Gain some experience and have someone there to help you pick up the bike if needed.

Melting place :  Well it seems like publix is always popular so we will do that, maybe to one side...lets say 1:00 arrival time, 15 minutes for BS and stragglers and a 1:15 KSU.

Route :  This is where the i don't know what I'm doing part comes in.

Any interested parties let me know if you are coming.

- lastparrot

springer

Quote from: lastparrot on August 24, 2018, 06:10:11 PM
So I just got the 690, tires need to be replaced, suspension may be to stiff, I have limited off road experience and yet for some reason I feel the need to head out and roll the dice.  Yeah, I know this is late notice, but here are the details.

Time : 1:00 in the afternoon Sat Aug 25th

Who is this ride for :  Anyone really, but there will be a premium for the novice off road ride.  If you are wanting to learn with others your own skill level (low) then this is your ride.  If you have the patience of a saint and want to help us lesser knowledgeable riders you are more than welcome(and encouraged) to come.

Expectations :  Gain some experience and have someone there to help you pick up the bike if needed.

Melting place :  Well it seems like publix is always popular so we will do that, maybe to one side...lets say 1:00 arrival time, 15 minutes for BS and stragglers and a 1:15 KSU.

Route :  This is where the i don't know what I'm doing part comes in.

Any interested parties let me know if you are coming.

- lastparrot

I am interested, veryly interested. I will try to post up closer when I know I can go.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Joey A

I am interested as well but need to complete several task in the morning

2007 FZ6
2006 Honda 250X - Tagged
2005 KTM 450EXC - Tagged
2024 Husqvarna 701 Enduro

gulfcoaster

My skill level definitely qualifies me for this ride, but unfortunately I won't be heading up there this weekend.  Although at some point in Sep-Nov I was thinking about visiting the parents in Hoover to watch a Bama game, and bringing the Beta to do a ride in CWMA.  Maybe we can get together for a Newb D/S ride sometime this fall.

Joey A

*** I will be there and bringing a few riding friends. See you at the Publix. We will be on KTMs ****
2007 FZ6
2006 Honda 250X - Tagged
2005 KTM 450EXC - Tagged

lastparrot

Quote from: springer on August 24, 2018, 08:37:22 PM
I am interested, veryly interested. I will try to post up closer when I know I can go.
You going go to make it springer?

- lastparrot

springer

Quote from: lastparrot on August 25, 2018, 01:00:41 PM
You going go to make it springer?

- lastparrot

Nope, waiting on my brother to come by the house.  :(
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

lastparrot

springer

A more motley bunch of ruffians as I ever have seen. /\  :D

Joey A

A good 48-mile dirt ride today to help lastparrot break in the KTM 690. Good thing we found some shade while we waited on the train because the delay was longer than normal
2007 FZ6
2006 Honda 250X - Tagged
2005 KTM 450EXC - Tagged

lastparrot

We had a blast, well at least I did.  The group headed down Coalmont, which at the beginning felt very sketchy.  We then went by the shooting range, I hadn't been out there in over ten years.  A lot of improvements and I was glad to see what appeared to be range officers overlooking what was going on.

We left the range and continued on until we reached the hunting club, a quick u-turn and we headed out to "the slab".  This is where we hit the train, admittedly it was a long wait but it gave me a chance to get to know the guys in the group.  I really enjoyed the conversation.  Once the train departed we made it to the slab, took a bit of a rest and headed back.

There were a few times when things got literally side ways, amazingly no one needed to have their bikes picked up.  Today, I am sore, still need new tires and looking forward to the next time.

- lastparrot

Joey A

We all had a good time. Riding conditions were extremely dusty making visibility difficult at times. Maybe we will get some rain in the next few days to settle all the dust. Looking forward to the next adventure. We will plan another ride soon adding in a few more trails.
2007 FZ6
2006 Honda 250X - Tagged
2005 KTM 450EXC - Tagged

kylepeterson

Quote from: lastparrot on August 26, 2018, 08:25:37 AM
We had a blast, well at least I did.  The group headed down Coalmont, which at the beginning felt very sketchy.  We then went by the shooting range, I hadn't been out there in over ten years.  A lot of improvements and I was glad to see what appeared to be range officers overlooking what was going on.

We left the range and continued on until we reached the hunting club, a quick u-turn and we headed out to "the slab".  This is where we hit the train, admittedly it was a long wait but it gave me a chance to get to know the guys in the group.  I really enjoyed the conversation.  Once the train departed we made it to the slab, took a bit of a rest and headed back.

There were a few times when things got literally side ways, amazingly no one needed to have their bikes picked up.  Today, I am sore, still need new tires and looking forward to the next time.

- lastparrot

that's a fantastic bike you have to explore on. so good to see the dual sport badasses getting together to explore and hang out with each other. please give us some advance notice for your next ride, I'm sure you'll get some of the seasoned guys to come play.

please take a look at the Cove Rally that's coming up apprehended 14-16, it is A HOOT of a great time with great folks. you will learn a ton of stuff and be challenged. no shortage of help to right you and the bike. no shortage of fun. if metallo takes his 690, you'll have a great time trying to copy his moves! do it. dooooooo iiiiiit !
just give 'er the berries !

kylepeterson

just give 'er the berries !

Cahaba

I hate I missed this notification earlier, still trying to figure out this Tapatalk app, as I probably would have tried to join as well.

Think I ran across several of you a while back (pack of KTMs and a 'Joey' sounds familiar to me) as I was finishing what became a solo ride near the slab and you were starting one - I've got a Beta which is a little less common. 

Hopefully I'll catch more updates on here as I'd enjoy a ride with others when schedule allows.  Safer, usually enjoyable conversations at breaks, and I don't ever mind helping others pick up a bike if they want to return the favor!   None of us are getting any younger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk