News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Motus closes its doors

Started by Mulley, September 01, 2018, 09:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mulley

Posted on Motus facebook page. This is a very sad day for Birmingham motorcycling community. I hope these guy can find other sources of financial backing. They make phenomenal bikes.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2042128262679938?view=permalink&id=2687707098122048

Motus Owners Group Intl. (MOGi)
To all Motus customers, dealers, staff, suppliers, friends,

After an amazing ten year ride, Motus is forced to shut down operations, effective immediately.

This week, Motus' financial backers unexpectedly informed management that they will not provide sufficient capital to maintain operations and grow the business. We were surprised and disappointed, especially because we have been working so hard preparing an October 2018 product launch into a new and exciting segment as well as new features on the MST series. This is very unfortunate timing and we will work to quickly find a new path forward for Motus Motorcycles and our American V4 powertrain division.

We are very grateful to Team Motus, truly the finest group of professionals and people, who have each dedicated so much of their hearts and soul to Motus. We are also thankful to our dealers and the many customers and supporters who have cheered us on and put gas in our tanks along the way.

For Motus owners, hang on to those motorcycles. As you already know, they are heirlooms, unlike any other motorcycles ever built.

Very sincerely,

Lee Conn and Brian Case, founders

Article on AL.com
https://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2018/09/birmingham-based_motus_motorcy.html
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

springer

Hopefully they can find new backing.  :(
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

LawnmowerRG

I hope they can make it out of this. Man do I hope they can make it out of this. I want one so bad, and if they close that probably will never happen.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

kylepeterson

That's so sad. I was really hopeful at the beginning, until I saw the price tag, and then figured they would be around until the strap money was gone. :-(.

I bet they could have sold a lot more if them priced in the 20k range. It was so cool to see them on our Alabama roads getting tested and ridden... Even though I knew it was unobtainable.

Really going to miss seeing that local road on their motorcycle website. :-(
just give 'er the berries !

springer

Well, that makes it 2 motorcycle manufactures that have went bust in Alabama. Confederate moved here after hurricane Katrina, went bust, then came back again somewhere, then went bust again.(I think, website is still up)

Now Motus.  :-[

Never got to ride a Motus, but I did get to ride 2 Alabama made Hellcats from Confederate. They where some fun motorcycles.

Hope the guys at Motus can find the funding to start up again. 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

renchinrider

Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

merc16

I certainly don't feel bad for the two founders. They had a fun ride, got to build a high end bike and ride it all over the U.S. They've had a kick ass time. I'm sure they'll find a salary job somewhere, maybe even with a nice sign on bonus. I do feel bad for the people working there, dealers and owners. Who knows what line of b.s. they were all fed. It is/was a nice bike though.
Justin

springer

Quote from: merc16 on September 03, 2018, 05:18:19 PM
I certainly don't feel bad for the two founders. They had a fun ride, got to build a high end bike and ride it all over the U.S. They've had a kick ass time. I'm sure they'll find a salary job somewhere, maybe even with a nice sign on bonus. I do feel bad for the people working there, dealers and owners. Who knows what line of b.s. they were all fed. It is/was a nice bike though.
My understand of the engine is that is based on a Chevrolet design production engine. If that is correct, then engine parts can be sourced.

Slede

When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

sctparker

Quote from: Slede on September 03, 2018, 06:28:43 PM
did they every sell any bikes?

been at dealers Since 2016
I would own one if the local dealer Tech 46 hadn't been so hard to get in touch with ,had to make a appointment to see the bike ( don't know they actually had one). Had money in hand and couldn't get a answer by email or a call back from leaving a message., Then life happened .

The dealers are discounting them 2 to 3k . some are advertising collectors take notice

norton73

Quote from: springer on September 02, 2018, 03:39:57 PM
Well, that makes it 2 motorcycle manufactures that have went bust in Alabama. Confederate moved here after hurricane Katrina, went bust, then came back again somewhere, then went bust again.(I think, website is still up)

Now Motus.  :-[

Never got to ride a Motus, but I did get to ride 2 Alabama made Hellcats from Confederate. They where some fun motorcycles.

Hope the guys at Motus can find the funding to start up again.

Confederate is still around, they are now Curtiss Motorcycles and are going electric;

https://www.curtissmotorcycles.com/

Sucks about Motus, I was hoping for them to finally hit their stride and move some bikes. I was looking forward to when a few hit the used market so I could buy one within my budget.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Slede

Quote from: merc16 on September 03, 2018, 07:06:40 PM
Conn and Case got together and said, "Let's build the coolest bike ever annnnd get other people to pay for it. Do we need to sell any ? Maybe...."

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

if they had they'd still be in the bike building business
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.