News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Getting red loctite to release

Started by sctparker, September 06, 2018, 08:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sctparker

Back story : Riding the KLR on some rough roads in MS  I lost some fairing bolt stoped and got some replacements didn't think anything else about it until I was out riding  about a year later and noticed I had a hole without a bolt , got home put in a new bolt checked all the others and some were loose and some weren't. So I was going  back to MS and had a bright idea to put locktite on the bolts that are in wellnuts to keep them from vibrating loose again on the rough roads/trails . Being that I was leaving the next morning and was out of blue I thought a little dab of red will work , and yes it did, no loose bolts in the last 600 miles.
Now I need to remove the fairing and have tried grabbing the rubber coated wellnut with pliers  where possible  and when I turn the bolt with a wrench the rubber just spins in the pliers or the brass nut spins in the rubber can't see just know it's not loosening . I have used a torch before to loosen red but I really don't want to melt my plastics with a flame , I tinkered tonight with using a soldering gun to heat the bolt but didn't give it enough time I don't think and don't know if it will get hot enough to soften the loctite.

Anyone got any ideas ?  that dossn't involve me doing a lot of drilling
Or where I can buy flamable brake cleaner ? it loosens locktite but can't find anything but non flamable and it does nothing

kylepeterson

Post a picture of it.. then I'll be sure
just give 'er the berries !

sctparker

This is the nut

This is one of the bolts

kylepeterson

Well that sucks.

I would drill the heads and replace the bolts/grommets.
just give 'er the berries !

TWJohn

Try using a pocket butane torch. Much smaller flame. I use them all the time at work around equipment.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

springer

If you can get to the backside of the rubber, you can try spraying some solvent type stuff through the rubber grommet.  Wait a bit, then shoot it with penetrating oil.
  If it is a 5mm nut, then this is a pretty good price on them;

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Insert-wellnuts-Motorcycle-Windscreen/dp/B00VASWJQO
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

sctparker

I bought a mini butane torch at Lowe's this morning to try . I've tried different solvents and the only thing that would touch it is a really old can of flammable brake cleaner I found don't know what the chemical in it that made it soften only had a little in a can that wouldn't spray so I drained it out of the can and done a bench test that worked and haven't been able to find anything but non flammable and it does nothing. I have a bunch of the well nuts to replace all of them if I can ever get them out. 

sctparker

Bernzomatic detail torch melts the rubber  visegrips and a rachet gets the brass nut off.  NOw I forgot why I wanted to remove the fairing, but it's coming off anyway