Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

RFP #14 - Hiking Bankhead, Sat. Nov. 10

Started by Nice Goat, October 12, 2018, 12:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

RFP = "Ride for Pie"

Why?  Because pie fixes everything!

This is primarily a national forest ride, i.e., there will be lots of dirt/gravel roads which are mostly smooth and big-bike friendly.  We will visit a few of my favorite spots in Bankhead which require some hiking.  You should dress in layers and bring shoes with excellent wet traction in the woods.  The hiking trails are not difficult, but there will likely be some mud/roots/rocks/water crossings.  I also recommend bringing bug repellent, some toilet paper, a hydration bladder, and some high-calorie snacks, e.g., nuts, Clif bars, etc.

Rough timeline:

7:15 AM -- Meet at Jack's in West Point, AL
8:00 AM -- Kickstands up!
8:30 AM -- Indian Tomb Hollow (marker tree and old cemetery) (1 mile in, 1 mile out)
10:30 AM -- Upper Turkey Foot Falls (waterfall, close to road)
12:00 PM -- Kinlock Falls (waterfall, close to road)
1:00 PM -- Caney Creek Falls (1 mile in, 1 mile out)
3:00 PM -- Chef Troy's for late lunch

Tentative Route is below.

Total hiking will be about 4.5 miles, so I recommend that you get to Jacks early enough to get some breakfast.

It's gonna be a blast, so come join us!

P.S. - Everybody knows ... I buy the pie!

P.P.S. - Free stickers too!

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

springer

Hoping I can make this /\! Pretty sure I will have to leave out on the 9th as it would be a long, much colder, ride up there! Any recommendations on a cheap, clean, safe motel close by?
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

just give 'er the berries !

Nice Goat

The ride is only four weeks from now.  The temperature range should be about 40 (morning) to 65 (mid afternoon).  Perfect hiking and riding temps.

For hotels, a quick interweb search reveals nine possibilities...

Nice Goat

My house is seven miles from the start point, and I have plenty of level parking, if anybody needs/wants to trailer their bike.

klaviator

I'm a definite maybe.  I'll make it if I can.

Gam

I'm going to try to make this. The water in that second pic looks familiar.  I was backpacking one February, probably 15 years ago.  Do you go through a "fat man sqeeze"? There was a nice flat for camping.

2372ighost

I put this on my flying calendar as unavailable. I will plan to overnight in Cullman.
I like riding for pie!!
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Nice Goat

Quote from: Gam on October 14, 2018, 06:50:20 AM
I'm going to try to make this. The water in that second pic looks familiar.  I was backpacking one February, probably 15 years ago.  Do you go through a "fat man sqeeze"? There was a nice flat for camping.

I know of a couple of fat man squeezes in and around Bankhead, but none planned on this ride. 

If anybody wants to camp in Bankhead on Friday night and meet us at the first hiking stop, I can send GPS coordinates.  Shoot me a PM.

I'm debating whether to camp on Saturday night, depending on the weather.  If so, it would be at Brushy Lake campground.

norton73

Loose nut holding the handlebars

kylepeterson

Quote from: Nice Goat on October 15, 2018, 10:28:35 AM
I know of a couple of fat man squeezes in and around Bankhead, but none planned on this ride. 

If anybody wants to camp in Bankhead on Friday night and meet us at the first hiking stop, I can send GPS coordinates.  Shoot me a PM.

I'm debating whether to camp on Saturday night, depending on the weather.  If so, it would be at Brushy Lake campground.

sending!
just give 'er the berries !

Al Goodwin

Nice Goat

Two days until the ride.  Lots of good rain this week, so the waterfalls should be active and beautiful, but the hiking could be muddy.  Bring waterproof shoes and extra socks.

Temps are looking to be 32 in the morning and increasing to 46 during the day, and that's with clear, sunny skies.  That's a little chillier than I was hoping for, but it should make for excellent hiking weather.

Don't forget to spray your clothes with tick repellent.

2372ighost

Do you think Jacks would have a problem leaving my truck in the lot for the day?
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Nice Goat

Probably not.  Alternatively, there is a large church parking lot next door.