News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Sunday group ride to KC's BBQ

Started by ctag, October 14, 2018, 10:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctag

Hi all,

I didn't plan to write up anything for today's group ride, but it was just so excellent that I feel like I have to.

There were a few cycles and riders I didn't recognize in the parking lot; unfortunately I didn't learn any names, so I hope they're around again.

The weather, traffic, and route was absolutely fantastic. Alan took us through some incredibly picturesque areas of cotton fields and hills. Eventually we found ourselves at an overlook. I got too wrapped up in taking a picture of my bike in front of the view and forgot to get a real group photo, but did catch one of the valley:

A few more minutes and we made it to the waterfront and our BBQ joint right at 1:30pm.

After admiring the very brightly drawn menu, I eventually ordered a pulled pork plate, and it was awesome.

The trip back was equally nice, with a little more cloud cover but no rain.

It wasn't purely all fun though. Once I'd broken from the group and was on I565 headed home, I came the closest to being in a wreck that I ever have. Approaching the top of a hill on the interstate, the vehicle in front of me dived over at the last possible second, revealing a stalled jeep in the lane. I couldn't possibly stop in time, but did manage to eek over to the shoulder and not hit anything. Just as I was looking back, a truck slammed into the jeep. The jeep stayed in the lane, but the truck rolled forward to me on the shoulder and parked. I called 911 and checked that everyone was alright, which they appeared to be for the most part.

It's been a habit for years to watch the lines on the road try to leave two or three seconds following distance for the car in front of me, something I picked up from my mom back when I was still on a learner's permit. But now I know first hand how important it is. Those two seconds made all the difference today, and I didn't have to visit the hospital or anything thanks to it.

klaviator

WOW!  Good job avoiding that Jeep!

renchinrider

So glad you're safe, Chris!  ???  Thanks for reminding all of us the importance (and potential life-saving benefits!!!) of maintaining proper following distance!

That aside, I'm envious you got to join Alan's ride (he's becoming quite renowned for these Sunday outings!  :P).  But I'll be with you SOON! ;)
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

lastparrot

The 2 second following distance is a good rule of thumb to go by.  Just remember that above 60ish mph you need to allow a little more time because of the distance you cover while reacting.  Glad you are safe!

- lastparrot

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."