News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

MABDR? Maybe.

Started by jrou111, October 24, 2018, 12:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrou111

Had a nice 4 day extended weekend with a good friend from Birmingham Micah aka @advrider41 this past weekend.

Rode up to Virginia, did a few miles on the first section of the MABDR (at night), stayed in Marion Va and then zigzagged our way back down to Boone/Blowing Rock NC.

Stopped in Little Switzerland

Took the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Mt Mitchell. Some a-hole parked his Harley right in front of the sign.

The wind up there was crazy from the cold front that had moved through 50mph winds and heated gear was the name of the game for the majority of the trip.

Rode the Parkway down to Asheville to find a place to stay. This is the second trip to VA in a row that I carried camping gear but it was ruined by bad weather.

Turns out that hotels were all $200+ a night so we took some nice backroads and forest roads back north to Johnson City TN. Found an affordable place and found our way to another brewery.

The next day it was about 25 degrees with the wind chill, about 37 degrees ambient. We took a different set of curvy backroads down to Asheville and wound up at Sierra Nevada Brewing Company for lunch.

That place was incredible and I highly recommend visiting. A little over 3 hours and $50 later and I'm in a state where I can ride again

Next we headed back north to hop on the Parkway again out of Asheville towards Cherokee NC.

Token Parkway shots:

We finished the Parkway in Cherokee and rode the hour and twenty minutes down to my house for the night. I grilled some ribeyes, we had a few beers, and a nice little bonfire.

The next morning at 7am it was about 34 degrees but Micah needed to make his way back home. Donned once again in heated gear, we hit the rode and I followed him to the Alabama/Georgia border near Rome, then headed south to Cedartown and took another route back home. I did 1167 miles according to my GPS, on a variety of terrain and weather. And we managed to hit up 3 breweries.

Oh and one last thing...I hardly ever have anyone chat me up while stopped but for some reason we must have had at least a dozen conversations with strangers that started talking to us. I thought that was really cool.

All in all even despite some setbacks, it was a great weekend to ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guidedawg

Fun roads, beautiful scenery, but cold weather - offset by good company and breweries so I'd call that a win.

Thanks for the report; it's good to see the GeorgiaRides (err..motorcyclegeorgia?) contributor active!

yamahamer

Very nice. I need some weekends like that in my life.  8)

Nice Goat

Awesome report, JRou.  Thanks for sharing!
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

jrou111

gulfcoaster

Awesome. Looks like you're enjoying that S10! Gonna be any YouTube vids of the trip?

odell2115

Looks like a fun trip.  Been a while since I've seen Micah.  Hope all is well!

KevinB

kylepeterson

wooooo i know y'all had a blast up there!

looking forward to the next adventure!
just give 'er the berries !