News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Custom directions on cell phone...

Started by WillyT, November 09, 2018, 07:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillyT

So I am planning a ride in December. The route is round trip and about 2 hrs. I have created the map in Google My Maps but apparently it doesn't do turn by turn directions. I can do directions between points but it doesn't stick to the route.

This is the ride: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pN4mm-_Mgpp9PljuANpAiNxG9F3OMWB5&usp=sharing

What do you guys use for custom routes with turn by turn directions on cell phone?

I have Calimoto downloaded on my phone and actually created the route inside it. Has anyone used it before?

Thanks
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

lastparrot

Rever jas just added turn by turn on custom routes.  You can plan it on a pc (or phone) then sync the phone and you should be good to go.

- lastparrot

Mulley

Locus Map is really good. @kylepeterson is pretty much an expert on it.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

kylepeterson

that looks like a really fun route. i downloaded the kml (it's a Google file type, but works with all the good navigation software, kind of like a kmz but the kmz is zipped) Ave displayed it on my phone.

clarification....
Google maps= great for traveling in a car, if you have good cellular coverage. barely OK, for motorcycle riding.
Google my maps= great for STORING lots of maps from/to your Google storage. it's OK at planning, but terrible for real time usage , ie navigation. terrible, for motorcycle riding.
both are only passable for offline usage.

osmand= excellent for street navigation, mediocre at motorcycling / dual sport riding. it's track/waypoint handling is not so great, but passable if you keep very few tracks on it. great for offline.

oruxmaps = better track storage, better off road/dual sport, but worse at street navigation. great for offline

locus = super badass awesome sauce waypoint/track storage, very good at track/route building, but only"good" at street navigation. it has so many capabilities, it's hard not to exploit it, when considering motorcycling. great for offline.

rever= resells your tracks in its premium packages, missing a lot of features, very data hungry, not great offline.

soooooo, i downloaded your kml, imported it to locus, and displayed it. (screen shot 1)

if you want turn by turn directions, ace an easy learning curve, check out osmand. it will import your route, Ave provide you with turn by turn directions. minimal fuss, pretty good application. it's a battery hog with its recent developer updates, so expect to ride with your phone plugged in.

if you want all of that and the kitchen sink, start playing with locus today and you'll be ready by December. this isn't a negative towards you or the application, just know that it's extremely feature packed, and has a step learning curve at first... inside the first time you tried to drive a stick shift.... then double the fun. if you've ever used garmin software, its about 10x easier, so stop hard, but not stupid insanely ball busting wife-mad-at-you-for-cleaning-an-engine-in-the-sink hard like typical garmin software.

in both the locus And osmand stores, you can get a few maps for free. if you buy locus pro, maps are about 25 cents per state on average, or you can download them for free from openandromaps. com    it's legal n stuff so no worries.

there's a thread over in the tech/gps area of the forum if you want more guidance/reading material this weekend.
just give 'er the berries !

JBMFT

I feel like Kurviger is missing from this conversation.

I never had good luck with Rever. It wants to be the facebook for motorcycle riding and everyone who actually rides a motorcycle wants it to be google maps with custom map turn by turn.

kylepeterson

Quote from: JBMFT on November 10, 2018, 07:08:05 PM
I feel like Kurviger is missing from this conversation.

I never had good luck with Rever. It wants to be the facebook for motorcycle riding and everyone who actually rides a motorcycle wants it to be google maps with custom map turn by turn.

does kurviger do offline routing? i cant remember

JBMFT

WillyT

Wow very nice post man. Thank you

I download Rever the other day. Kinda hit and miss it seems.

I will have to look into locus. I have played around with garmin maps in the past and had a decent time with them.

The good news in the ride has been put off until the first weekend in Jan. So I have even more time to get it down.

I really like the round trip planner with Calimoto. You put in how many miles you wanna go and your starting point and it creates a route for you. You can even put if you wanna go north, south, east, or west. I am currently in a trial period with it and that will end on the 21st of Nov. So I am kinda curious what is gonna happen after that. 
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

kylepeterson

Quote from: WillyT on November 12, 2018, 08:47:03 AM
Wow very nice post man. Thank you

I download Rever the other day. Kinda hit and miss it seems.

I will have to look into locus. I have played around with garmin maps in the past and had a decent time with them.

The good news in the ride has been put off until the first weekend in Jan. So I have even more time to get it down.

I really like the round trip planner with Calimoto. You put in how many miles you wanna go and your starting point and it creates a route for you. You can even put if you wanna go north, south, east, or west. I am currently in a trial period with it and that will end on the 21st of Nov. So I am kinda curious what is gonna happen after that.

for online routing, checkout
furkot
and
the Harley ride planner

they may be too much or just right for your needs. just remember, the gps stuff is love of like chocolate.... it can be as bitter or as sweet as you desire ;-)

but it's all
gooooood
chocolate