News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Moto Shop Referral

Started by Slablog, January 06, 2019, 07:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slablog

Can anyone point me to a good independent moto shop in Mobile or Baldwin County area? I have a BMW upright twin F650GS. I need a place for tire installs, wheel bearings, valve adj. etc.
Visit, listen and comment please
Slablog Podcasts

Chuck & Susan

I have used Motor Sport Freaks located here in Robertsdale. They did some work on my old 85 GoldWing a few years back. They did brake work, Tire change, & installed a trailer hitch. I think they did more but I don't recall at the moment. I had no problems with them and best I recall I didn't scream about the price.

Chuck
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Slablog

I'll check them out. A local auto tire place here in Atmore referred me to Arrington Auto Parts in Flomaton. The owner, Bill Arrington, does some motorcycle maintenance and will install and balance my moto tire for $35. Sounded like a friendly guy so when I go over there I'll find out more about what he's willing/able to do, mechanical wise. But the Motor Sport Freaks is a good one to check into also, if nothing else just for that name!  ;)
Thanks

[update, 1/15, When I went to have tire installed at Arrington's, he told me it was $25 + $1 for disposal fee. I guess I misheard him on phone when he said $35]
Visit, listen and comment please
Slablog Podcasts

springer

Pick up a set of these, put them in your tailbag, saddlebag, what ever.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motion-pro-beadpro-aluminum-tire-bead-breaker?gclid=Cj0KCQiAsdHhBRCwARIsAAhRhsncPth3xjRFfjLOXebEmCk4E8unoyyk4K8DtfTLhxjBa0FcxEo3o9kaArHXEALw_wcB

They are the easiest tire change/repair on the road irons around. Watch one of the many videos on Youtube to see how to use them...they are a bit different. 

Same place and many others sell wheel balancing stands. There are videos on how to balance a motorcycle wheel and tire everywhere.

There is an up-front cost to buying all/any of that./\ but it all gets paid for by the second tire change. Plus, a flat on the road can be fixed with just a plug kit (tubeless tires) or a patch kit (tube tires) Tube tires need the tire (un-mounted) on 1 side to get to the tube, those tire irons can do it no problem. 

Learning how to do it keeps you from waiting on the side of the road when you get a flat. Effort required is about the same or less than changing a flat and putting on the spare on a 4 wheel vehicle.

Also, some shops will change the tire if it is bought from them for free or just a little $...of course they might charge you to come and get you.

Options /\ are what all that is....and it is good to have options.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.