News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Another DRZ? Wait... that one's Green??

Started by DonJuan, January 20, 2019, 11:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonJuan

I finally decided to pull the trigger on getting something in the 400cc range of dirt/dual sport bikes. Facebook marketplace was calling to me today, and I happened upon a nice 2003 KLX400R (Kawi badged DRZ400-E), for what I thought was a good price. I had seen the post last week, and took notice... After an hour or so of questioning the owner, and haggling via messages, we came to a conditional deal that if it ran right and looked as good as advertised,  I would buy it today for said price.

I hooked up the trailer, grabbed the required cash, a Beretta .380, and commenced to make the drive to the Huntsville area.

The bike didn't dissapoint, it looked pretty good, sans a few bubbles in the side tank decals. There were no signs of anyone ever being in the engine, and no warning signs of abuse.

Factory exhaust and handlebars were present. Plastic was nice for a 16 year old bike. Upon further inspection,  the 70% tires proved to be the factory Dunlop's, dated late 2002.  The oil was full and clean, the fork seals were sealing, and there was no hesitation on warm starting. (I later found out that it is really cold natured.) I rode it around the neighborhood that was nestled amongst a slough of cotton fields. I didn't give 'er too much hell, because 1) it was cold, and 2) it was Sunday afternoon in a quiet neighborhood. I simply went through the 5 gears, shifted into neutral while still rolling quickly, and then back to Second again. It worked well. I took note of the Keihin flat side carb that ismon the R and E models.

Before I paid the man and signed the bill of sale, I did notice the smallest seep of oil on the bottom of the clutch cover. I removed the skid plate, and the plastic wings that make up the side of it. Inspecting the case and case seal didn't reveal anything scary, so I settled on the clutch cover gasket as the offender. I also noticed that the chain was in need of adjusment, and lubrication;  and also that it had never been adjusted. The castle nut was still held firmly in place with a very precisely bent cotter pin, and a white paint pen marking on the upper flat of the nut.  Cjrrent owner said the last owner was an "old man" and didn't ride it much. Maybe to church on Sunday,  that was all.

I buttoned it all up, handed the fellow the loot, loaded up my new green toy, and headed back home to Trussvegas.

So far, I have the battery, dated 2017, hooked up to a trickle charger, and I took off the bubbly old tank decals.

My long term goal is for this 400 to replace the KLR650, but I need to ride it some before I make that decision.  I'll do some general maintenance to this one, clean her up some, and get it tagged. Maybe sometime after the SM500 I'll say farewell to the KLR. Maybe...

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

Brian A

Nice.

Quite a few DRZs have been owned by forum members for quite a few years. They are great bikes. They are a true Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none motorcycle. Reliable and more than merely capable in a big variety of applications.

I ride its cousin, the DR650.

In my mind, two of the best all-around dualsport motorcycles (for the money) a person could ask for.

KevinB

DonJuan

I like finding the value in cheap beer, and old bikes. In either case, the product normally surpasses my expertise and skill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

kylepeterson

Congrats, that's the better version of the drz !

Pumper carb
Hotter cams
And it's GREEN instead of yellow

I love drz's, abused black and blue or brand new like yours, they're a lot of fun !

just give 'er the berries !

TWJohn

2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650