News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

why was clutch making my bike go dead?

Started by Gam, February 12, 2019, 05:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gam

So I pulled in the store at Cheaha piddled around got back on the bike and when I released the clutch lever the bike would go dead, as soon as it got to what would be the engagement point it would go dead, no matter how much gas, I was thinking messed up kickstand switch, engine ran fine until you let the clutch out.  I did drop the bike on the left side earlier.  I'm specking that kickstand switch, getting ready to do something to it, when the guy I'm with starts adjusting the clutch cable, turning the adjuster out, and this fixed it. I don't understand why or how though (neither did he, he just thought it looked like the adjuster was in too far.)  You pull the clutch in to disengage the friction plates, you let the clutch out to engage them, I just don't see how turning the adjuster out fixed that.

KevinB

Maybe bunged up the clutch interlock switch (if it has one)?

Chitza

I spent two weeks roll starting my VStrom because it wouldn't start. Pulled the battery and had it tested. It was fine. Had two mechanics look at it and no one could figure out the problem. I had dropped the bike two weeks prior to this happening. Finally, out of frustration I googled "VStrom won't start." Three minutes later, I had my problem fixed. The clutch safety switch had been partially jarred loose when I dropped it. Two weeks of riding and vibrating apparently jiggled it the rest of the way out. Plugged it in. Problem fixed.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Gam

I bet it has something to do with the clutch safety switch, I forgot there was such a thing.

kylepeterson

Quote from: Gam on February 12, 2019, 05:37:40 PM
So I pulled in the store at Cheaha piddled around got back on the bike and when I released the clutch lever the bike would go dead, as soon as it got to what would be the engagement point it would go dead, no matter how much gas, I was thinking messed up kickstand switch, engine ran fine until you let the clutch out.  I did drop the bike on the left side earlier.  I'm specking that kickstand switch, getting ready to do something to it, when the guy I'm with starts adjusting the clutch cable, turning the adjuster out, and this fixed it. I don't understand why or how though (neither did he, he just thought it looked like the adjuster was in too far.)  You pull the clutch in to disengage the friction plates, you let the clutch out to engage them, I just don't see how turning the adjuster out fixed that.

yep. those things are the devil. they only fail (causing the engine to DIE) at the worst possible times. like passing a big rig at omg-it-wont-go-any-faster throttle positions, or directly after starting up a stupid long/steep/rutted hill.

i bet you'll find a partially sheered wire or loose connector.

:-)
just give 'er the berries !