News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Dualsporting the Free State 2019

Started by klaviator, April 07, 2019, 04:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I believe that this was the 9th Free State event.  It was my 4rth and maybe the best one I have been to so far.  I'd like to start by thanking Al and Meloney for all the work they put into organizing this outstanding event.

Next I have to insert this disclaimer:

This Ride report contains pictures of professional riders on a closed course,DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME!!!

I headed over to the camp site on Friday afternoon and was surprised to see quite a few people already there.  More showed up into the afternoon and evening. 

Weather was a little cool but really perfect for sitting around the fire.  As usual Al brought a big grill and we had a sausage fest.

Beautiful sunset.

It was great hanging around the camp fire with old and new friends.

klaviator

Saturday morning started with another campfire and Bacon and biscuits.

More people showed up.  Some bikes were not exactly what you would expect to see on a dual sport ride.  Notice how clean this bike is.  This is the "before" picture.

Riders meeting held by our fearless leader.

We started with some easy paved and gravel roads.

Then we rode the first trail to the Sipsey River.  This year everyone rode down to the river.

Not quite so clean anymore and this was just the beginning of the ride.

klaviator

I headed back up the trail a few minutes before everyone else and waited with my camera.

Remember what I said about professional riders on a closed course :D :D

Professional pit crew at work ;)

klaviator

More professional riders.

Professional rider coach!

TU250 in action!

Another professional rider demonstrating how to crash without falling down.

This is why you should have knobbies when riding in mud.

klaviator

We had 16 riders on this part of the ride.

Steve get the long distance award coming from Georgia for this event.

We rode a few miles and then headed down another trail to the Sipsey River.  I think that's where I took these next few pics.

Someone had a camp set up at the river.  I wonder what they thought when a bunch of hooligans on dual sport bikes showed up?

Frank Smith

Great ride report. Sad that I missed not being there to contribute to your epic fail photo collection.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

klaviator

I rode ahead again and found a mud hole that would be difficult to avoid and waited.

My mighty KLR and the trail ahead.

I think I got a pic of everyone coming through.

klaviator

More mud hole pics:

Playing in the sandbox.

klaviator

Next up was lunch at Chef Troy's.

No comment on this pic taken in the parking lot :D

Lazee bum and a lady friend joined us for lunch.

It was good seeing you again Randy!!

The food was great as always.

They did a great job handling such a big group and there was no fighting over the food this year :D

Stephen took this next one with my camera so I could get in the picture.

The famous Mexican cheesecake ala mode

klaviator

Our bikes at Chef Troys.

More riding after lunch.  Due to the recent rain there was much less dust making the ride much more enjoyable. 

The Wall.  So far I have only seen two riders climb it and that was a few years ago.

While everyone else was starring at the wall hoping someone would ride up it a few of us went down to the river and played around.  Sand riding is not exactly my strong point but I can still take pics of other doing it.

Just so ya'll don't think we're just a bunch of Rednecks who just play in the mud, we did stop and check out this historical site ;D

klaviator

After a good days ride we returned to camp.  We hung out some more and cooked up more sausage.  A couple on a Harley stopped by because they saw all the bikes and we talked with them for a while.  We told them about the forum so maybe we'll be seeing them again.

around the time it got dark we started seeing lightning and hearing thunder.  That was followed by so heavy showers.  We were pretty comical huddling under a 25+ year old tarp trying to find spots where it wasn't leaking. :D

It was still a good evening.  Eventually we all turned it.  Luckily my 17 year old tent only had some minor leaks. 

The next morning we finished off the bacon and biscuits and people slowly headed home.  It's always sad to see this great event come to an end.  Al and I were the last to leave.  I'm already looking forward to next year's dual sporting the Free State.

Al and Melony normally put on an event in the Fall and I hope to make it to that. 

If anyone has any pictures and/or wants to add to this report that would be great.

Thanks again Al and Melony for organizing this!

klaviator

Quote from: Frank Smith on April 07, 2019, 06:58:57 PM
Great ride report. Sad that I missed not being there to contribute to your epic fail photo collection.

The only epic fail was that you didn't make it to this.  It was a great ride and fantastic time!

Al Goodwin

TFancher

This was AFTER everyone was finished with dinner! No shortage of sausage !

Once again Melony and Allen put on a spectacular event. It doesn't get much better than this one.
Thanks for having us along for the ride!

Great report Win !
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Nice Goat

Sorry that I missed this.  Had too much to do this weekend and had to be at the airport early today.

Awesome job on the photos, Win.  Especially like the detail and focus on the action shots of everybody coming through the mud holes!

Looks like everybody had a grand time.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."