2009 BMW F800GS vs 2021 Yamaha Tenere 700

Started by MadMax, February 16, 2021, 10:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMax

I have once again found myself looking to buy a new ride.  I have spent my life on everything from an old Kawasaki KD80m, several ATV's, V Star 1300, FJR1300 and even Valkyrie Interstate.  I think this time I am looking for either a dual-sport or a mid-sized adventure bike.  I have been looking at the BMW F800GS pretty seriously, but I have also gotten caught up in the hype surrounding the new Tenere 700.  I'm 6'0: and aboout 290lbs, so I'm certain that will play a role in the decision making process.  Suspension will be important.

Has anybody gotten the T7 yet, and if so what are your thoughts?  I am looking at a 2009 F800GS for about $6500 or for a little more could get a new T7.  I'm just wondering if it is worth it.

norton73

Having recently bought a "used" T7, I can say I'm happy after some mods. It is sprung for a lightweight, 160-170 lb rider. You'll have to budget for springs front and rear right off the bat. Finding a T7 is gonna be the challenge, and if you do, it's not gonna be just a little more than $6500. Depending on the dealer, out the door reported prices have been over $12K. Supply is low, almost no dealers have them in stock, and rumor has it that it's gonna be late March before the next bikes become available, assuming there isn't already a deposit on them.

There's a couple good threads over on ADVRider on T7s, and there's a dedicated forum; https://www.tenere700.net/
Loose nut holding the handlebars