News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

How much of Alabama have you visited? (The rules)

Started by Guidedawg, March 19, 2021, 01:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

How many counties have you visited?

Let's document visits to each of Alabama's 67 counties with photos.  As you visit a county, take a photo of your bike and something that makes your location in that county obvious.

It can be a county sign, the courthouse, a city sign, post office or well-known landmark inside the county, etc.

Old photos do not count, only those taken after the creation of this child board.

Some of us will never visit all the counties and some will have them all quickly, but to encourage travel around the state each time you go into a new county take a photo and post it as a reply to the corresponding thread.  It will be interesting to see which counties have more visits than others.

Anyone documenting travel to every county in the state will be added to the

HALL OF FAME

Current Players and number of counties visited:

Chuck&Susan - 53
Guidedawg     - 51
Nice Goat        - 8
jrobinson        - 5
WESOG          - 1

Number of documented MotorcycleAlabama members visiting a county:

Autauga - 1      Chilton - 2        Crenshaw - 2    Geneva - 2        Lee - 2             Montgomery - 3    Talladega - 3
Baldwin - 2      Choctaw - 1      Cullman -2       Greene -  1        Limestone - 1   Morgan - 2             Tallapoosa - 2
Barbour - 2      Clarke - 2         Dale - 2           Hale - 2             Lowndes -  2    Perry - 1                 Tuscaloosa - 2
Bibb -  1          Clay - 2            Dallas - 2         Henry -  2         Macon - 2         Pike - 3                 Walker - 1
Blount - 2        Cleburne - 1     DeKalb - 2        Houston -  2      Madison - 2      Pickens - 1              Washington - 1
Bullock - 2       Coffee - 2         Elmore - 2        Jackson - 2       Marengo - 2      Randolph - 2           Wilcox - 2
Butler - 2         Colbert - 1       Escambia - 2     Jefferson - 1     Marion - 1         Russell - 2               Winston - 2
Calhoun - 2      Conecuh - 2     Etowah - 3      Lamar -            Marshall - 3     Shelby - 2
Chambers - 2   Coosa - 3        Fayette - 1       Lauderdale - 1   Mobile -            St. Clair - 1
Cherokee - 2    Covington - 2   Franklin - 1       Lawrence - 2     Monroe - 2       Sumter - 1

TFancher

Somewhere in the old forum (before the crash) several people,including myself, had documented that we had been to every courthouse in the state. There are actually 72 courthouses in the 67 counties. 5 counties have 2 different courthouses. I'll see if I can find the pictures of my trip around Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Guidedawg

That was the inspiration for this thread, but I did not realize some counties had multiple courthouses - cool!

This time around I decided to make it easier by allowing any site in a county for those who may just be clipping a corner and not want to go all the way to the county seat.

And I wiped the slate clean, so those old photos don't count; you'll have to start over.  ;) 
Though they are cool to see, so feel free to post them; just make a note of it being an older photo.

Chuck & Susan

Quote from: TFancher on March 20, 2021, 04:49:03 PM
Somewhere in the old forum (before the crash) several people,including myself, had documented that we had been to every courthouse in the state. There's actually 72 courthouses in the 67 counties. 5 counties have 2 different courthouses. I'll see if I can find the pictures of my trip around Alabama.

Along those lines... Baldwin Co has 3. The main court house in Bay Minette and 2 satellite court houses in Fairhope and Foley.
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

klaviator

How much of Alabama have I visited?  That is an interesting question.  After studying the map for a while I think I have been in most, possibly all of the counties in Alabama but that has been over a period of nearly 40 years starting when I lived in LA (Pensacola, Fl.) in the 80s.  Then I lived in Prattville in 01-02 and now in Huntsville.  Of course I didn't document it. 

As for this current game, I'll start taking pics when I ride through different counties but I doubt I'll ever get back to all of them,but, who knows?

Guidedawg

Quote from: klaviator on March 22, 2021, 09:11:14 AM
As for this current game, I'll start taking pics when I ride through different counties but I doubt I'll ever get back to all of them,but, who knows?

I'm doubting I'll go back to some of those counties I went to earlier for the sake of the Historical Registry, but I'm sure we have at least one here who will take it as a personal challenge to grab them all.  I just wanted to give folks who need a nudge another reason to ride somewhere new :)
Even if folks just take a photo in their own or surrounding counties, we still have areas of the state vastly underrepresented on our site, so maybe it will encourage some to post.

Nice Goat

Visited Cullman, Winston, and Walker counties today.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

TN_twowheeladdict

I have been traveling to the gulf coast for 25 years, an average of 5 times a year. 

I'm going to say I have ridden most north/south, northeast/southwest, and northwest/southeast road in the state.

Since past photos not allowed, I will leave it to you newer travelers to populate this thread.   ;)
2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

Nice Goat

I visited six more counties yesterday.... 235 miles!

Morgan, Limestone, Lauderdale, Colbert, Franklin, and Lawrence.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

TFancher

Quote from: Chuck & Susan on March 22, 2021, 08:40:27 AM
Along those lines... Baldwin Co has 3. The main court house in Bay Minette and 2 satellite court houses in Fairhope and Foley.
I think there were only two when I did this before. Have they added a satellite courthouse in ,say, the last 5 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Chuck & Susan

I just needed to post a list of where I have been so far. I can come back to edit as I cross more off the list. I was loosing track and not as slick as @Nice Goat at coloring maps...

Autauga County, AL
Baldwin County, AL
Barbour County, AL
Bibb County, AL
Blount County, AL
Bullock County, AL
Butler County, AL
Calhoun County, AL
Chambers County, AL
Cherokee County, AL
Chilton County, AL
Choctaw County, AL
Clarke County, AL
Clay County, AL
Cleburne County, AL
Coffee County, AL
Colbert County, AL
Conecuh County, AL
Coosa County, AL
Covington County, AL
Crenshaw County, AL
Cullman County, AL
Dale County, AL   
Dallas County, AL
DeKalb County, AL
Elmore County, AL
Escambia County, AL
Etowah County, AL
Fayette County, AL
Franklin County, AL
Geneva County, AL
Greene County, AL
Hale County, AL
Henry County, AL
Houston County, AL
Jackson County, AL
Jefferson County, AL
Lamar County, AL
Lauderdale County, AL
Lawrence County, AL
Lee County, AL
Limestone County, AL
Lowndes County, AL
Macon County, AL
Madison County, AL
Marengo County, AL   
Marion County, AL
Marshall County, AL
Mobile County, AL
Monroe County, AL
Montgomery County, AL
Morgan County, AL
Perry County, AL
Pike County, AL
Pickens County, AL
Randolph County, AL
Russell County, AL
Shelby County, AL
St. Clair County, AL
Sumter County, AL
Talladega County, AL
Tallapoosa County, AL
Tuscaloosa County, AL
Walker County, AL
Washington County, AL
Wilcox County, AL
Winston County, AL

It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066