News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Garage Party in The Valley

Started by jrobinson, May 10, 2021, 08:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Mulley

Very cool. I'm happy to see that you got your garage finished.

Unfortunately I can't make it. One of my little ones is graduating from 4K Sunday. I hate that I won't be able to see everyone.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

jrobinson

4 riders, my brother  in law and my mom  came out today for the first garage party.

We managed to repair Chuck's trailer/eating table. I used the extra special bubble gum, So I hope it holds.

Chuck & Susan

Lol... I am sure you fixed it this time... but I will bring the strap along for the west coast tour just in case. Thanks for having us over today it was well worth the ride up to meet a few new friends in person. It is great to put faces with the names.

See everyone again soon I hope.

Chuck

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Moto Guzzi

Good times for sure.  Very nice to meet the Chuck half of Chuck & Susan, chat with TW John again and meet his lovely wife Shelly.  Of course good to hang out with Johnny again too, just like old times at the "Start of the Season" cookouts.  It was also a real treat to meet Johnny's mom and hear her stories about motorcycles.  Thanks for hosting this Johnny. looking forward to the next one.  Unfortunately (very unlike me) I did not take one single picture today!

TWJohn

It was fun hanging out with you all. These little get togethers are fun times.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

klaviator

Sorry I missed this.  I just had too much going on yesterday. :'(

Chuck & Susan

Quote from: jrobinson on May 16, 2021, 05:46:47 PM
4 riders, my brother  in law and my mom  came out today for the first garage party.

We managed to repair Chuck's trailer/eating table. I used the extra special bubble gum, So I hope it holds.

Johnny the extra special bubble gum did not hold. In one of the towns along the way my chain I have in the trailer managed to find it's was partially out the hole and under the tire. course that made the tire slide and my first thought was the bearings locked up. Thank goodness I just needed to pull the chain back inside and away from that hole. Easy fix with the hinge repaired. Thanks!!

Chuck
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Moto Guzzi

Things that come up in the varied conversations at a Garage Party/Flash Mob etc. 

Chuck and I were talking about things Goldwing.  I told the story of a friend of mine whose alternator failed in 2007 on his 1200 GW.  With the alternator mounted at the rear of the engine it would have been a massive (and expensive) undertaking to replace the factory one.

A guy had developed a kit to mount an automotive style alternator on the front of the engine, using a pulley/belt setup driven off the timing belt.  I don't recall his name, but he actually lived somewhat nearby in Alabama and came to my house to help us with the install of the kit.  He is in the yellow shirt in the below pictures. Really nice fellow, came on his own time and wouldn't accept anything for his time and advice.

Best I remember the kit consisted of some brackets. spacers for the radiator, the pulley and belt.  You supplied a suitable alternator from a local auto parts store.

The repair lasted a good long while until the frame/driveshaft failed and my friend ended up parting the bike out.

A few pictures of the repair:

[/img]

Chuck & Susan

That bike looks so much like my old 85 models. Also notice the factory designed fork brace that we talked about. I still miss that old bike. Put many of a mile traveling on that thing.

@Fencejumper09 has one of them in a state of customizing that is really cool....

The Mean Wing

http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=1678.0

He has put a ton of work into it.

Chuck
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

N4HHE

I have not done it but recently researched what it takes to swap the alternator on a GL1800. The hardest part is finagling for the right length of socket and extension for a ratchet to reach. Easy to be too long or too short.

Chuck & Susan

Quote from: N4HHE on May 18, 2021, 05:34:43 PM
I have not done it but recently researched what it takes to swap the alternator on a GL1800. The hardest part is finagling for the right length of socket and extension for a ratchet to reach. Easy to be too long or too short.

Good info, Thanks!

I just hope I never have to find out on my GL1800. I'll contact you if I need an expert..  :)

Chuck
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066