News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

The Mean Wing

Started by Fencejumper09, April 04, 2017, 08:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fencejumper09

So the moment finally arrived where I could afford a project bike!

Chuck&Susan posted up the best deal I have seen to date and it came with a 100% money back guarantee! How can you beat that!

We arranged for a pick up time and for some help from local bamarides members since I couldn't get any of my "buddies" to take the 4-hour each way trip to Baldwin County. Fate had another plan as my precious little baby Evelyn decided to come into the world 4 days early and start changing daddies plans before she could open her eyes! With loads of family in town the following weekend proved to be our best bet to make this deal happen.

With a trailer and bag full of payment I headed south at 4:45 am (yes the baby had something to do with the early departure). I arrived at Chuck and Susan's beautiful home and was greeting by their amazing 2 greyhounds!

**A little side note. I have only met Chuck and Susan once at the 2016 Rally in the Valley but when I knocked on the door I was directly invited in shown amazing southern hospitality! I really enjoy meeting all the people off of this forum!

After catching up a little, Chuck and I headed outside to see the beauty! Due to some brake issues the riding lawn mower was used to back the bike out of storage and the truck was used to pull it onto the trailer. After a heavy dose of harbor freight ratchet straps and with a truck full of spare parts we headed over to check out the 2016 Goldwing Chuck and Susan recently acquired and my goodness that thing is sweet! Payment was rendered in the form of a 4 pack of Budweiser tall boys and I was off headed north.

I beat the rain home by 15 minutes so I had enough time to unload all the parts and get a tarp over the new Wing!

Sunday morning I started figuring out why it didn't want to roll and removed the front and rear calipers. The front calipers appear to be in good condition but the rear caliper was real tight on the rotor. I then removed the bags and some other pieces to lighten up the load and hit it with the pressure washer to get some of the pollen and grime off.  With a little help from some friends we got the Wing into the basement where it will undergo its transformation.

After some finagling we were able to remove the fairing and get this beast down to it's fighting weight!

Now that the clothes are removed I got into the mechanical issues! Number one is a carb rebuild!

Other than having a film of varnish and being grimy the interior of the carbs looked pretty good so I cleaned everything up and got a rebuild kit from Randakks Cycle Shak

Before I put the carbs back on I changed the timing belts, which involved removing the radiator so I am also flushing and refilling the fluids. I am trying my best to polish up some of the aluminum pieces but the corrosion is pretty intense so we will see what happens with that. Still waiting on some o-rings and other oem parts before reinstalling the radiator and carbs.

I have the brakes all torn down and ready for a rebuild just waiting for the oem parts.

This is where I am at to date! Hopefully I can keep up this blistering pace!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

IceCold4x4

I wanted to go with ya but my better half squashed it, you should be happy i didn't upset her, now ya don't have to send me cheap busted bikes anymore....

bblass

That is one good looking trailer...
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Chuck & Susan

Love the post!!! This is going to be so cool to see this thing transform.... Worth every penny of my profits.... LOL

Thanks Fencejumper
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

gulfcoaster

Things are really moving along with this build. Sub,d waiting to see this thing come back to life.

Fencejumper09

Things are moving along nicely know but currently in a holding pattern waiting for some oem parts for the brakes and o-rings!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Fencejumper09

I got a bunch of parts in and have installed most of them. The rebuilding process begins this weekend and hopefully get this thing running!

Brakes have been rebuilt!

New timing belts installed!

New thermostat (don't forget to order a new o-ring when you do this!!  :(

Removed the front wheel to access the forks and install new tire.

Installed new sight glasses in the clutch and front brake master cylinders. Nice kit from http://newrivercyclesalvage.com/sight-glass.html

Received a nice used set of exhaust headers. I plan to just run a short 45 degree elbow with a baffle but we will see how that looks and sounds before finalizing.

Picking up a new battery tomorrow and will start testing out the electrical system to see if anything is fried! (Wish me luck)
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Fencejumper09

Pictures

Brakes Rebuilt

Low budget bike stand!

Fresh o-rings, bushings and grease!

I think I like the more brushed looked than the polished look but will decide on that later on!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Fencejumper09

Got the front tire off as new rubber is enroute! Cleaned up the rim a little as oxidation is running rampant on all things aluminum at thus point.

Pulled the bottom of the forks off to change the fork seals and my goodness they were nasty! Lots of grime and rust and silicone!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Nice Goat

Awesome project.  I want to do something like this one day.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

renchinrider

Really impressive, Fencejumper!  Really appreciate your pictures so the rest of us can follow along.  Best of luck as you sort the electrical system!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

Fencejumper09

It is definitely a fun project just started it at a bad time! It seems like everything I set about fixing leads to 5 other things needing repairs but I assume that is typical when messing with older bikes.

I need to focus on the KTM for a little bit to prepare it for the Perry Mountain 24 but hope to still get a couple hours this week to work on the Wing!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Fencejumper09

Got a little bit of work done last night!

Got the rear wheel off for new tire installation!

Carburetors are currently halfway re-installed with new throttle cables!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Fencejumper09

The new tires are installed along with all of the newly refreshed calipers! Next step will be to bleed all of the brake lines and the clutch line!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Fencejumper09

FYI - I know I have a buckets problem!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT