News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Dogs!

Started by Danimal, November 12, 2015, 07:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danimal

This is what I did. Don't know if it's the best strategy, but usually if you connect with a boot they back off. This one didn't.

lazeebum

After the fact, all you can legally do is call the authorities. Even if there isn't a leash law, it will cost the dog owner to kennel their mutt for fourteen days. Dogs like the one in your video should be euthanized, or at least kept in a fence.

klaviator

You could carry some pepper spray along.  A blast of that in the face might just teach the dog a lesson and prevent it from doing it in the future.  I have never done that but I do carry some in the tank bag of my Versys.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to get out and use with gloves on.

Nice Goat

Needs more "get back" whip.   :D
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Ryanbroome

Go back with your truck?

catang5oh

I'm sure from the looks of the place a gunshot wouldn't surprise them!

Danimal

Quote from: catang5oh on November 12, 2015, 04:09:59 PM
I'm sure from the looks of the place a gunshot wouldn't surprise them!
Yeah, I'm sure it would go unreported.

Yankee Dog

They usually back off if you try to run them over.

Argh Oh

I've had a couple occasions where charging the dog got them away, of course they have to be in front of you. Yeah, truck, gun or both might be better.

Gam

Just using the horn when you get right on them works for a lot of dogs, I'm doubting it would for that one thought. I've told this before, I've been bitten twice by the same dog on the bike, didn't really hurt, he was chomping on side adventures.  I don't go through where is very often, but I've got a canister of bear spray I carried around in Montana backpacking, I'll have it within reach next time I go through there.

Yankee Dog

Quote from: Gam on November 13, 2015, 02:26:59 PM
Just using the horn when you get right on them works for a lot of dogs,

Ha!  Not with my horn. Small dogs laugh at me when I use it. 

SlowRoad

I have a huge dog just down the road from home that ONLY chases my motorcycles.  Either one, any time of night or day, it's only the bikes.  Never the car, truck or anything I can get his attention in. I've kicked and missed, yelled, blew the horn, revved the engine and nothing works to deter him.  Several times at 2am when I am coming home from work thinking that the owners might get annoyed enough to do something about it.  Not so far!!! >:(

Haven't thought about the spray, pepper or bear.  I know it's coming anytime I ride by there, so I could have it at the ready for him.   Think I'll be trying that. 

Yankee Dog

You can also try ammonia in a spray bottle.  Works good in the eyes. 

lazeebum

The whole thing about most folks who own dogs that chase motorcycles, they are ass holes. So talking with them about it is out of the question.  From my experience, most of the dogs just want to chase, I know of two that have bitten. Both times I called the police.

Slede

my dog is a chaser, he loves things with wheels. i have to kick him away ever so often myself. there are two or three others that will get after your ass around my nieborhood as well. that's them doing the job. i'm not made at them for it, and i'm not afraid of them either. we have a mutual understanding, if you snap at me i'll kick at you, if you bit me i'll stomp on you, but that goes for anything or anybody really. as far as calling the police, how do they cuff a dog? sounds like it'd be too much trouble...
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.