News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

$350 for an Oil Change!?!

Started by bblass, November 16, 2015, 10:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

Buy the service manual for your year and make of Harley. It will be the best $40.00 $90.00 dollars you will spend. It goes into great detail on doing ALL the service on your bike, including a major over-haul. Yes it is over kill for just changing you oil but it is worth its weight in gold if you delve deeper into working on your Harley.  (Different prices for the different makes) Be sure to get the correct year book too. Harley does make changes to their product line through out the run of the model life. Follow the instructions in the service manual. Some folks will tell you of a shorter/faster way to do it, screw that. Follow the manual. I have seen guys totally screw up their Harley then cry because they think Harley's are junk.  The truth is their mechanical skills are whats junk and/or they followed some short cut they read about on some internet forum.  ;)
Buy a good torque wrench and use the specs in the service manual. The service manual will also tell you if a fastener needs a certain thread sealant. Buy and use the right one for that fastener. Same with the oil wrench. (unless you use the K+N oil filter. Like Johney said, it has a nut on the end of it.) You can get the right type of oil wrench from places like Dennis Kurt, J+P, and others.       
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

RubyRider

I took my '08 FLSTC in for the first 2 services, after that, I bought a manual, and take care of my bike myself. Kinda figure I ride it, I can take care of it.

Oil change bout 70$ like others have said.

I enjoy working on my own bike, thats part of the moto experience.
If you aint smokin, you are eatin dust!

lazeebum

I don't, nor have I ever owned a Harley, but it kinda chaps me when people who don't know what they are talking about call them junk. Like everyone else has said, learn to do most of your own work.

DachshundUberAlles

My sister just bought a 2015 BMW 320i and it has a no fee, four year service coverage. That's regular services (including brake pads) for the first four years of ownership. I saw that Nissan is doing a three year, no fee service on their vehicles as well. This isn't something new because she said that her 1999 BMW 323 had a similar no fee service deal. Now once that period ends, the BMW dealerships more than make up for it with the costs of the periodic services. Now I am fully aware that the automotive market competition is far more crowded than the motorcycle world, and that the ratio of autos to motorcycles is huge, but it does make me wonder if such a no fee maintenance program would ever come to the motorcycle industry. You get people in the habit of coming to the dealership for the scheduled services and perhaps you keep them once the no fee period ends.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.