News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Denali Soundbomb Split Dual-Tone Horn Install

Started by KevinB, November 21, 2015, 05:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

So I decided to up my game in combatting DWHUA drivers (Driving While Head Up Ass) and ordered the Denali Soundbomb Split Dual-Tone Horn...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-soundbomb-split-dual-tone-air-horn

Along with the Plug-N-Play wiring kit and Versys 1000 specific mounting brackets...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/plug-n-play-wiring-kit-for-stebel-compact-nautilus-airhorns

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-horn-mounting-bracket-for-kawasaki-versys-1000lt-15

Taking inventory...

Instructions are simple to understand (which is good for me...too many words make Mongo's head hurt)...

What the instructions leave out is that the nose needs to be removed in order to access the OEM horn wiring.

Some guy a lot smarter than me wrote an excellent tutorial on the Versys forum...

http://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,15367.0.html

First step once the plastics are removed is to replace the rear mounting bolt on the voltage regulator with the supplied bolt/bracket...

Then install the acoustic unit with the included mounting bolt/nut (I went ahead and attached the air hose)...

Next install the supplied bolt and bracket that will mount the compressor unit. This is for fitting/wiring, as the bolt will need to be removed in order to reinstall the side fairings later on...

And then run the air hose to the compressor. I could have trimmed the hose, but decided to leave enough length in case I decide to use it on another bike in the future.

Now for the wiring harness...

I mounted the included relay near the battery, and ran the power wire to my Fuzeblock to minimize the number of ring terminals attached to my battery.

Snake the wiring under the tank...

Run the horn leads to the front. Factory wires to the horn are red/black = power   black = ground

Now to ground the compressor...

I used this factory grounding point on the frame...

Before reinstalling the plastics, time for a test...

Fairly unobtrusive once the bodywork is in place...

Total install time was @ 2.5 hours.

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

speedfire

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Shepcam

2013 Kawasaki Concours

Chuck A.

Does the relay come with the horn or the harness or is it a separate purchase? Just ordered the horn. Wondering if the Denali will work with just the existing horn wiring or will it require the battery direct wiring and relay.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

KevinB

Quote from: Chuck A. on November 21, 2015, 11:44:41 PM
Does the relay come with the horn or the harness or is it a separate purchase? Just ordered the horn. Wondering if the Denali will work with just the existing horn wiring or will it require the battery direct wiring and relay.

The relay came with the horn kit. Not sure about using the existing horn wiring...I'm electrically inept, so I just went ahead and ordered the idiot-proof wiring kit.  :)

LawnmowerRG

Good job. I have been thinking about one of those myself. thanks for the great right up.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Chuck A.

Put one of these horns on my 1500 no lead last  Wednesday. It is plenty loud for a horn on the bike.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

Nice Goat

I bought one and went to install it, but the relay is sticking.  If I disconnect the horn, I can hear the relay toggle, but as soon as I connect the horn, the relay sticks closed.  Just need to stop by Autozone for a new relay.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KevinB

I may relocate mine to the stock horn location under the nose...being under the plastic side cover muffles it just a tad. Still loud, but I want the full "Holy Crap!" effect.  :)

teambeer

How did you tighten the bracket screw with the left fairing in place.  I can't seem to find a straight path to the screw and with the fairly in place I can't get to it from the side.

KevinB

I wound up zip-tie'ing the compressor to the tubular engine mount. I installed a set of SW Motech crash bars and they interfered with the entire mount. Before the SWM bars, I just left the bolt out of the fairing mount (using just the lower mount).