News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

When do you use those fancy lights

Started by Yankee Dog, December 03, 2015, 07:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankee Dog

So I have some aftermarket lights on the Tiger.  They work great  they really light up the road ahead and to the sides.  But I find I rarely use them.

They are wired to come on along with the brights. So the only time they are useful is when there is no other traffic and I am riding solo.  They are certainly blinding to oncoming traffic.  And they have to be annoying if I am following you.

On a different bike in the past I wired the brights to stay on all the time and the aux light to come on with the bright light switch.  Bright to oncoming traffic but at least I could show them it could be worse.

Since I don't ride down rural roads at night much. I find myself wondering if they are even worth the effort. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Goat

A while back, I adjusted the low beam and the fog lights upwards on the Versys.  I don't ride at night real frequently, but when I do, it's been very annoying to more than one vehicle.  So I've been thinking more about this.

I like to see 500 yards down the road, but it's not really necessary in the grand scheme of things.  With my braking power and usual speeds, I really only need 50-100 yards.  If there is oncoming traffic, the oncoming traffic will provide some light for me also.  If I am behind somebody, I really only need enough to see to their bumper.

So, just two days ago, I adjusted the fog lights and low beam back down.  Now I have three levels of light --- high, low, and fog.  Low and fog are close to each other in height, but still slightly different.  My next night ride, I'm going to see if the other drivers are still annoyed.

I've always liked being able to control the fog lights separately, just to have more options.  Never liked automatic fog lights.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Al Goodwin

Have y'all seen the video of my "NEAR-MISS"? :o

I'll never ride without mine on again. >:(

I'll be putting some on the KLR SOON. :-\

terryrussell1

When I had the aux lights on the vstrom I rode with them on all the time.  During the daytime along with my bright lights, I could actually tell the difference when they were on, by the way cars seem to notice me more.  I really need to get some for the fjr.

I always ride with my bright lights on during the day, I believe it makes me more noticeable.  In your case since they are on the bright switch just leave them on during the day and off at night, except when you need your brights.

Yankee Dog

Quote from: terryrussell1 on December 03, 2015, 04:33:14 PM

I always ride with my bright lights on during the day, I believe it makes me more noticeable.  In your case since they are on the bright switch just leave them on during the day and off at night, except when you need your brights.

That is what I do for the most part.  I think I will break the multimeter out and rig the bright and dim together all the time and control the aux lights with the bright switch.  The dim is just not bright enough all by itself.  If it is too much I will aim the bright down a little bit. 

gene46

I have been thinking about adding some LED driving lights to my crash bars. I ride just about every night and could use the visibility/awareness without blinding oncoming traffic. I am on all 2 lane roads now and the traffic is busy enough that I can rarely use my bright beam. I want something small with a good beam. I know that 55W is the strongest for a normal bulb, anyone have experience and insight on the right LED bulbs?

jrou111

I have 81 watts of LED lighting on my KTM 640. I only use low beam (6 LEDs) when riding on the street.

It's pretty bright at night on high beam.

I have Terry's old VStrom, and I use the LED lights on the pretty much all the time. I don't think they work for me enough at night since I've had LASIK and will probably replace them for some larger ones.