News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Mustang seat

Started by gene46, December 13, 2015, 09:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gene46

I started talking about this in another thread, but I don't want to steal the thunder on the Corbin seat. I ride a 2012 Honda Shadow Spirit. I like the looks and feel of the original seat, but it was very uncomfortable after a 1 hour ride. I am cautious about what I spend my money on (OK, I am cheap) when I can't try out the product. I caught a Mustang Vintage Wide seat on eBay (barely used, not a scuff on it) for about 40% ($450/$185) of the new price and decided it was worth this risk. The appearance is fine with me, that is all a matter of opinion. The back seat should be much more comfortable although I haven't had the chance to test it.
There doesn't appear to be much of a change, but rider position changes a lot. For low speed maneuvering I prefer the original. I have short legs and the new seat means that I am not flat footed at stops, but not uncomfortable and I have adjusted to it quickly. Daily commuting I think I like the original more because I am on the bike less than an hour so there is no discomfort. Initially sitting on the Mustang I was surprised that it feels as firm as the original, so I was doubting long term comfort. Last weekend I took a trial ride of a couple of hours on the new Mustang seat. No discomfort at all. Yesterday I rode from Lincoln to Spanish Fort. I was going to a DixieABATE (DixieABATE.org also on FaceBook, yes I am throwing in a plug and you need to join) meeting and planned to camp out down there. Plans changed and I had to ride back. Close to 600 miles in 12 hours of riding. I never felt any discomfort at all! This is the best add on investment in my bike. I have wanted to do an Iron Butt ride and doubted I could do it and enjoy it. Now I am looking for routes and might not wait for spring!