News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Blue Fuel

Started by Chitza, January 19, 2016, 02:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chitza

Anyone familiar with these? Any thoughts on safety?

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

LawnmowerRG

Haven't use one of those. I am however familiar with a similar product.

The ones we have seen and used have a fusable link in the cables. This link is there to protect the batteries, and only seams to last a couple of jumps. Then you have to replace the cables.
Lithium batteries can be very dangerous. Also they do not like the cold.
Shorai batteries are a good example. The built in breaker can leave you stranded, or just simply a cold morning.

I think they are a great idea. The technology is just not quite there yet.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

lk2rd

From the video, looks like this unit uses Lithium Iron Phosphate technology which is much safer than lithium polymer.  Supposedly, no thermal run away problems.  They do have reduced capacity when cold.  I impulse bought a cheap one at Wally World a few days ago for $30, was $40 before Christmas.  The NAPA one looks much nicer.  It is 12000mah so, it should charge a cell phone 4 or 5 times.

sctparker

Made for napa by schumacher same as there red fuel sl1 I had the sl1 that I kept in the bike and I let someone borrow it and haven't seen them or it since ,it doesn't have the  inline fuseable link   like some other jump starters  in the extreme cold it wouldn't jump a bike unless you warmed it but would still charge my phone and laptop  there are some reviews on amazon ,that's where mine came from

Chitza

I'm looking at one of these for my trip this summer. I have too many devices to charge. Phone, iPod, heated grips and heated vest. Not to mention the new lights I'm installing. I'll put in a new battery before I leave(mine is over 4 yrs old) but I don't want to overload it.

Oops. Heated gear in July??? I may have divulged my destination 8)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

LawnmowerRG

Not sure what your heated gear pulls. But the bike should be able to run a good set of LED lights and charge devices with no problem.

BTW, I Bet I can guess where you be going.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.