News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Rusty tanks....

Started by Al Goodwin, January 29, 2016, 02:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

How do y'all take care of cleaning them out?

sctparker

I've always used muratic acid it's cheaper than the rust remover stuff

Chitza

I think Mark used vinegar in my GS tank. Maybe he will chime in soon.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Postmaster

"The Works" toilet bowl cleaner, undiluted.  Find it at K-Mart or Wal-Mart.

Do not dilute it. 

Fill tank about 3/4. Let the tank sit for 15 minutes on each side.  Drain the tank.  Rinse the tank very well with water.  Now you must displace the remaining water.  Use WD-40.  Spray the inside very well.  Liquid WD-40 works much better.  Now get about a cup of gas and swirl around in the tank. Pour out gas.

Done.

Zeus

Take it to your local radiator shop. They have the best and most inexpensive thorough cleaning and sealing process. Go figure, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

griff

After I've cleaned them out in the past I've used marine gas tank epoxy to coat the inside of them. It's good enough it will seal pin holes permanently if needed. I've done this several times and ridden for years on the tank without any problems.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

RubyRider

Quote from: griff on January 29, 2016, 07:09:20 PM
After I've cleaned them out in the past I've used marine gas tank epoxy to coat the inside of them. It's good enough it will seal pin holes permanently if needed. I've done this several times and ridden for years on the tank without any problems.

Me too.  End of Problem.      ;)
If you aint smokin, you are eatin dust!

lk2rd

I've put a  bunch of screws, nuts, bolts, ect. in the tank and shake it to break the loose rust loose.

norton73

Loose nut holding the handlebars

Slede

Quote from: lk2rd on January 30, 2016, 12:18:48 AM
I've put a  bunch of screws, nuts, bolts, ect. in the tank and shake it to break the loose rust loose.

same principle but I usually use a transmission fluid and a bag of ice. the cubed kind. fill it, shake it, drain it. it will have a good coating of anti rust and you don't spend an hour trying to bounce out that last nut or bolt
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

IceCold4x4

I use a length of chain for ease of removal afterwords. if you plan on repainting the tank after just tie the last link to some string and tie that off around the tank, then shake the piss outta it.