News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Gourmet dining off the bike

Started by Chitza, April 12, 2016, 07:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chitza

We all love to eat. And I don't like leaving my campsite to go eat or grocery shop after I have settled in. I also don't like the prepared dehydrated meals because of all the sodium. I have been amassing lots of quick, easy, minimal ingredient recipes for camping.

This is NOT one of those. But it's a good start. Put your favorite meal plans in this thread. I intend to steal your ideas. You've been warned.

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

01YZF6

90% of the meals you can make, and freeze ahead of time. But most of them will be stews or 1 pot heat n serves.

One of my favorites is quick camp stew though. 1 can tomato soup, 1 cup rice, 1/2 bottle water, 1 can vienna sausages.
boil rice in pot first with 1 cup water (1/2 of 16.9oz water bottle)
When done, add soup, heat til warm, cut up and add
Sausages. 

Gam

If it's just one night of camping I take pretty much anything. I carry on of these on most trips, I'll bring something for the first night and stop for something after that if it is convenient.

A couple of weeks ago I took a small pork tenderloin, put it in a zip lock and covered it with  Goya Mojo Criollo http://www.amazon.com/Goya-Criollo-Marinade-24-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B00032CV8O , put it in the freezer overnight. I had to put it out to thaw the next afternoon at camp. If you don't want to carry anything to keep stuff cool, you can put it in the middle of your stuffed sleeping bag, make sure it's leakproof of course.

Take a baked potato, put it in the microwave and half cook it, put in foil, finish on the coals.

Ok, this sounds gross, and I have yet to convince anyone that it isn't.  Put some granola that already has fruit and nuts in it in a zip lock bag, add a couple of tablespoons of powdered milk, and just add water for breakfast. It's the same thing as those mountain house granola breakfast things, just a lot cheaper.

The longer the trip, the less I want to futz with fixing food, a hot meal sitting in a real chair in a restaurant is good for morale. I carry a couple of freeze drieds on long trips but seldom resort to them.

This is my emergency food

Chitza

Backpacking/hiking websites have good ideas on easy to carry and prepare meals. My summer trip will be long and I don't want 30 days of fast food meals or expensive restaurant meals. Sure, I'll do the occasional hearty meal but being on the bike that long, I don't want to eat much heavy food. Here is one of my favorite sites with good recipes.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/blog/homemade-backpacking-meals-just-add-water/

I love couscous. Adding different ingredients will make for a good variety. I can pick up things like walnuts, a chicken breast or veggies to grill on a stop each day. Also, after setting up camp I can run to a locale grocery and buy food to grill at camp. Just carry a small pack of basic seasonings.

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Yankee Dog

Start collecting salt, pepper, mustard, ketchup and such packets now. 

robreynolds

If you are going the freeze-dried route, I highly recommend PackIt Gourmet.  Some of their meals are so good you won't believe they are freeze dried.  They also have several no-cook options where you just add cool water and let it soak.   I love the Cajun Chicken Salad for a quick no-cook lunch.

http://www.packitgourmet.com/